Matt Lauer

People Are Screaming

Bad Things At Me!!!

12/27/2012 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1226_matt_lauer_article_getty
Matt Lauer is "freaked out" that people -- and lots of them -- have been screaming at him on the streets of Manhattan, calling him names and blaming him for the demise of Ann Curry.

Network sources tell TMZ ... Matt is "miserable" over what he believes are hateful and unfair tirades.  Matt says the harassment is constant, with people screaming things like "You're a bad guy,"and "You got Ann fired.  Does that make you happy?"

Matt is telling people at NBC there have also been lots of sarcastic comments about his $25 million salary.  He feels "abused," insisting Ann's firing is not his fault.  But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture.

One network source says, "It's driving him crazy.  He's so unhappy."

As for Matt's future at "Today," it's secure by default.  Aside from the fact that he has a contract, our network sources say NBC honchos are stuck.  They have no one who can step in and stop the bleeding.  As for Willie Geist, the new, 9 AM "Today" host, one very connected source says the sentiment is, "He's not ready.  He's not there yet."

TNT

He should be rewarded. Ann Curry was the dullest person on morning television. He did everyone a huge favor. NBC knew they made a big mistake. If she was so good then she would have replaced Katie but instead they went with Meredith Viera.

Sandy

I would rather see Ann Curry on the T.V. then Matt Lauer. I don't think it's right for people to scream things at him but they took off the wrong person fer sure.

Sandy

DurangoSally

I have been VERY disappointed since Ann left the show. I think Savannah Guthrie is awful! Ann was hands-down the best commentator. I stopped watching the show the day she left. I love Al but I am sorry...I can't stand Savannah Guthrie's voice. Matt should have stood-up for Ann but he was always rude to her...shame on you Matt. You deserve to have people tell you what they think. The executives should take notice of what people want and truly enjoy.

DurangoSally

KAY

Wow...

Dawn

HOW is this guy worth $25 million? Is he saving any lives? Has he found cures for anything? Has he stopped a robbery or ran into a burning building? NO! He is just a self centered wind bag, who thinks he's god's gift! Stopped watching him YEARS ago!

Jillian

I thought this moron was going to be fired??

Brian

Matt can use all that money on a shrink.

cami

All i can say is Ann curry didnt deserve it. NBC made a horrible decision and is paying the price

cami

And trust me as a New yorker I already know people are gonna continue letting him know how we feel

Joybubble55

Too bad.... You deserve it....

Domperignom

I can still recall Matt's poker face the day Ann was let go. She was in tears and as he pretended he care about her, what a hypocritical

It's Dave

Dude, you're getting paid $25M and you're whining that some people don't care for you. Suck it up and man on through, you overpaid baby. Gawd, rich people and their problems.

Matt, a small problem starts at the point where you don't have enough money to pay all of your bills at once. The problem scale moves up from there. Somewhere near the top of that scale is when you have no money or food or clothes or a place to live. Your "problem" didn't even make the scale. So take your 25M and be grateful.

HillbillyHell

Couldn't happen to nicer guy. Matt, you deserve it, and more.