Matt Lauer

People Are Screaming

Bad Things At Me!!!

12/27/2012 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1226_matt_lauer_article_getty
Matt Lauer is "freaked out" that people -- and lots of them -- have been screaming at him on the streets of Manhattan, calling him names and blaming him for the demise of Ann Curry.

Network sources tell TMZ ... Matt is "miserable" over what he believes are hateful and unfair tirades.  Matt says the harassment is constant, with people screaming things like "You're a bad guy,"and "You got Ann fired.  Does that make you happy?"

Matt is telling people at NBC there have also been lots of sarcastic comments about his $25 million salary.  He feels "abused," insisting Ann's firing is not his fault.  But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture.

One network source says, "It's driving him crazy.  He's so unhappy."

As for Matt's future at "Today," it's secure by default.  Aside from the fact that he has a contract, our network sources say NBC honchos are stuck.  They have no one who can step in and stop the bleeding.  As for Willie Geist, the new, 9 AM "Today" host, one very connected source says the sentiment is, "He's not ready.  He's not there yet."

Trooper Tom

I have never understood why this tool is paid so much for being a dick

Regina

Oh boo hoo, fricking hoo. Wow, I always thought he was a douche, but now he's a whiny douche.
It IS his fault. He has ran that show for years now he is passing the buck to NBC, that's real mature.

Howard

This guy's a complete and total prick and I am sure Anne Curry's departure had everything to do with him and now he has the audacity to cry publicly about New Yorker's mistreating him on the street..?.. Give me F*ckin break...

chinaveloz12

Just like that guy Regis, they are cut off with the same scissors. Big ego, not fun watching him.

carrollfuson

i quit watching after ann left matt is such a d_ick

Mike

Willie Geist looks cross-eyed!@

Meghan

Oh, poor baby! No sympathy for you. Hope they keep yelling at you and drawing attention to your dirty tricks!

Harold Bartlett

Matt "Liar" Lauer should go too. Then again, how about deleting the whole network!

uwsider6

Total ass. And full of himself!

Gin

Matt looks as if he has aged 10 years. The stress shows and he is an ass. I miss Ann Curry!

Daphne

NBC is Not #1 now, and won't be until Matt leaves. I love Ann. She was the best thing to happen to NBC.
What were you thinking to let her go? I haven't watched The Today show, since she left, and I won't in the future.

Java

They dumped the wrong person.

Sally Kalan

There is no reason for people to be mad at Matt Lauer. He is a serious journalist and no one else on that show is today. I like Matt and I do not like Ann Curry. Has no one noticed that the ratings are down due to the Teenage Topics they are involved in today. Has anyone at NBC noticed that more people are going to CBS & ABC morning shows. I think Erica Hill and Matt would be a good match on the show but not with Savanah and Natalie and Ann. I was a fan of NBC Morning show for years but NO MORE!!! Ann Curry has a big mouth and does not ever shut up when others are talking. She wants to be the center of the show. Bringing back Ann will not make the ratings go up but it will show the mentality of the producers. That is very BAD!!!

brandon

who cares about him. Savannah Guthrie is so beautiful

Lisa T.

I've been watching GMA for many years already, so don't really have a dog in this fight. However, when the story first broke I watched the video clip and could not believe that a major network could show so little class. To make that poor woman sit there and explain her situation (reassignment) while all the others looked on was humiliating, but to replace her during the commercial was unbelievable.I think it has to be one of the single most classless decisions a network could make. They could have just reassigned her quietly or made an announcement at the end of the broadcast. To do it in the middle of the show and then bring in another anchor after the commercial wasn't just cruel and tasteless, it was stupid. I predict down the road whoever made this decision will be packing his or her bags too.

Previous 15 Comments | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments