"Chappelle's Show" Star

Blasts Spike Lee

CHILL! Django's Just a Film

12/28/2012 9:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

122812_rawlings_launch
Spike Lee
needs to relax ... so says "Chappelle's Show" star Donnell Rawlings, who tells TMZ, the n-word-filled "Django Unchained" is a fun movie with a happy ending ... and THAT'S IT.

Rawlings was out in L.A. last night when he came to Quentin Tarantino's defense -- blasting Spike Lee for his criticism of Quentin's usage of the n-word in the film (110 times to be exact) ... which Spike called disrespectful to his ancestors.

Donnell said, "Spike Lee, I know you been talking a lot of sh*t. You don't like nobody's movies. You don't like Tyler Perry movies. You don't like Quentin movies. I don't even think you like YOUR movies."

Donnell added, "If you don't understand, Quentin's movie is a Quentin movie. It's not a real story ... It's only a damn movie."

By the way, Donnell's favorite part of the movie? "NO SLAVE VOICE!" You gotta see his explanation ... pretty damn funny.

TNastyFunktown

Honestly, when was the *last* time people were including Spike Lee in any conversation? Unfortunately, some people take any publicity as good publicity.

patches

what's Wrong Spike Someone One Upped you in the N word Category My Suggestion Take your Pail and Shovel and Go home play time Is over...... GROW UP SPIKE AND GET A HOBBY

LizzieBlueEyes

Why does Spike Lee feel that he speaks for all blacks everywhere and that his opinion is somehow more valid than anyone else's? He needs to educate himself and do something about slavery that exists TODAY rather than cry over the slavery that existed here over 150 years ago? Doesn't he realize most of us have ancestors that were in some type of slavery ? Move on.

durrere

Look, I'm a person of color and I saw the movie. It is a great movie!!! Spike needs to reach outside of the decrepit box he continues to live in and attempt to understand that people don't make movies by his standards. His opinion is just one and a lot of us have moved on with our lives and he should do the same. I wonder it is more of an issues matter that a white person making the film. Hm. This film has the right actors playing the right parts. I can't see anyone else playing these roles It is a Great movie. Spike, here is some news for you, Blacks aren't the only ones on the planet that has ever beem slaves

durrere

Continued. Every ethnicity has been a slave okay. But it is a movie and they were called the N word so it is an accurate portrayal. There were House N so that's correct so what's the problem? Is it because you didn't make it? It was funny and the actors are all A list. I mean to say your trippin Spike Lee! I'm so sick of people making things a race issue when it's not. Last time I checked, your wife is a light Bright and so are you. Should we say that you chose your wife because she fit a profile that would allow you to conduct business in Hollywood and have an influence in the Black community? I did see school daze. Or could it be that she sought you out because of superficial reasons because your short, a bit hyper sensitive and not the most attractive. There is some cream in your coffee. You can't change the past. It is what is but you can't stay there and sulk. It looks like your on the defensive and uncomfortable with yourself. There is going to be prejudice and racism. It will never go away but you give it more power when you give it a podium. Django is something different and u just don't get it. Django is awesome movie and I am going to buy the DVD. Just Chill okay. All the critics just stop with propaganda and trying to create a negative story that's just not there. There is no more shooting, blood aka violence then any other movie such as Saw, Halloween, Friday 13th and really it doesn't reach the psychotic levels. It is justice, comedy, humor, retribution and a journey.

BB not bb

Yeah I am sick of the worship of the N word. The blacks think it is their magic ticket to destroying the white man. Katt uses it to slap innocent store clerks. Spike uses it to discredit the work of others. The use of the N word is out of hand, by blacks, to defend their repugnant behavior.

BB not bb

This is another thing. The blacks act like they have some secret culture where only they can do things like use the N word cause whites are too dumb too get it. Guess what, there is nothing to get. They are just elitist in their own way. They have been told for years that they are enslaved kings and queens and the white man is the devil, and boy do they act like it.

They culmination of their glory was when OJ randomly killed two white people and got away with it. It was all over the TV and the blacks were dancing in the streets over it. Well he got his and they follow in the steps of their leader, filling the jails and being thugs.

BB not bb

And you want to talk about persecution, look at Jews, look at Native Americans. They have been through actual exterminations but do you see them acting so horrible as some human right? Native Americans always stand for peace and Jews for holiness, while blacks seem to want to just take advantage. I am sick of their angry victim mentality. They remind me of spoiled brats that need to grow up.

Diamond Goddess!

I L-U-R-V-E-S me some "Ashy Larry"!!!

rudynjudyjudy

art is graded by content and none of tarantinos flims have any value to anyone other than to him as a shock sells ripp off

rudynjudyjudy

samual jackson has to be crazy to work for tarantino...spike is right leave the hate behind move on all tarantinos films are rehashed news or fake history shockers with no steven king or real talents in them

K

I'd be mad at Tarantino if I were Spike Lee. Spike Lee made a movie that came out in August called "Red Hook Summer." Heard of it? Saw it? Me neither. No one has because it basically went straight to video. Only a couple of copies at Blockbuster. Now, it's December and interviewers are asking Spike Lee about another director's movie. Did the article say anything about Lee's movie released in August? Maybe. I don't know. The situation sucks either way. Long story shorter than Spike Lee, I saw Django Unchained. It was awesome. My ancestors may have been first in line to see it. The n-word and the slavery images made me uncomfortable a few times. However, the n-word for once was used in the proper context in a Tarantino film. It told a fictitious story about slavery I've wanted to see for a long time.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Seriously, gotta bring back Ashy Larry to the tmz studios "in character" and make sure he blows on the dice after he rubs them between his hands... lol

pete shallac

People shouldn't pretend past history didn't exists just because we now realize it was ignorant. Don't ignore the past because you'll be domed to repeat it.

whateverk

I'd be mad at Quentin Tarantino if I were Spike Lee. Spike Lee made a movie that came out in August called "Red Hook Summer." Heard of it? Saw it? Me neither. No one has because it basically went straight to video. Only a couple of copies at Blockbuster. Now, it's December and interviewers are asking Spike Lee about another director's movie. Did the article say anything about Lee's movie released in August? Maybe. Maybe not. No one focused on that part of the interview. The situation sucks for Spike Lee. He was asked to comment on a film he has never seen and hasn't been released, when no one's asking about a film he released months ago. Long story shorter than Spike Lee, I saw Django Unchained. It was awesome. My ancestors may have been first in line to see it. They were slaves and I'm Black. I think some of my white ancestors would have loved it too. The n-word for once was used in the proper context in a Tarantino film. It told a fictitious story about slavery I've wanted to see for a long time. I can't lie and say that some of the slavery imagery and dialogue didn't make me uncomfortable. I am human. That aside, the movie was awesome.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments