Huell Howser

'California's Gold' Host

Dead at 67

1/7/2013 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0107_huell_howser
L.A. TV icon Huell Howser -- best known for hosting the wildly popular travel show  "California's Gold" on KCET -- has passed away at age 67.

A rep for KCET tells TMZ, Howser died in his Palm Springs home early Monday morning of natural causes ... details surrounding his death have not been released.

He hosted his Cali travel show for 18 seasons -- and only recently retired in November after completing over 440 episodes.

Fun fact: Howser also appeared on two episodes of "The Simpsons" ... Matt Groening was a huge fan.

Javadude54

I loved his show. I live in California and have visited many of the places he went to. His perspective and humor, and the tactful way he had of shutting people up to keep the show moving along was always a joy to watch. RIP, Mr. Howser and thanks for reminding people that California is much, much more than just Los Angeles, Hollywood, or San Francisco. My condolences to his family and other loved ones.

TheBeachBum

Huell, California is a better place because of you and will not be the same without you. You were truly AMAZING and will be missed by all... You were truly California's Gold! Rest in Peace, Huell... Rest in Peace.

SB

Oh no! If anyone deserved to have a nice retirement it was Huell.

DR SICK

Truly a great man, all positive comments. How often do you get those only on TMZ comments?

john

when I heard he was retiring . I researched him and realized he was gay ,that is apparently no great secret. if he did die from aids ,I wish he would have owned it. we all lost a friend. wish I MET YOU OL FRIEND.

Tina

This is very sad news.
I will always remember him has a happy person and saying That's Amazing.

Dave

Gonna miss Huell. He brought a lot of California's unseen locations to us. RIP my friend. Glad I got to meet you.

CLINT

I love Huell Howser. What a great gig he had. His way of always seeing good in the things we see as mundane was so cool. The way he would say, "Oh my gosh!", at the simplest things was great. I learned a lot about this state from Californias Gold and Visiting with Huell Howser.and even last night learned why stage coaches are called what they are. (The stops were called stages, and they road in coach's). Not something I can use in life, but interesting still. RIP Huell. You will be missed.

Susie

Adam Carrolla & Dana Gould are going to be upset..

jasper121

He was the perfect host for Cal.'s Gold. He had a child- like enthusiasm that was very endearing. A very charming man. I offer my heartfelt sympathy to his loved ones. He will surely be missed by many.

LAPartyMcSage

Why is that when public figures die mysteriously and relatively young it's often listed as natural causes? Say what?

Rocco

Moral of the story: Don't Retire.

Rob

Is it true that he was a fudge packer? If so, was it HIV that got him in the end?

LA Native

For those of you who might be reading this far, please google this man and watch him. You will be better for it, he was a true gem and will be sorely missed by millions of Californians, even if he was not a native he was a true Californian in everyones eyes.

Maverick

R.I.P. Huell Howser.

Total classy guy. And always enjoyed his shows.

Wonder what the cause was. Clearly he was sick.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments