Huell Howser

'California's Gold' Host

Dead at 67

1/7/2013 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0107_huell_howser
L.A. TV icon Huell Howser -- best known for hosting the wildly popular travel show  "California's Gold" on KCET -- has passed away at age 67.

A rep for KCET tells TMZ, Howser died in his Palm Springs home early Monday morning of natural causes ... details surrounding his death have not been released.

He hosted his Cali travel show for 18 seasons -- and only recently retired in November after completing over 440 episodes.

Fun fact: Howser also appeared on two episodes of "The Simpsons" ... Matt Groening was a huge fan.

Grumby Jonus

R.I.P Huell. I met Huell in Palm Springs a few years back and was such a nice person just like he was on his TV show.A huge loss to all, may God Bless you!

Grumby

Barb

Very, very sad. I hope he didn't suffer. He was one of a kind - a decent, kind human being.

Googie

Huell Howser How lucky were we that he loved California so much & taught us so much. Huell lives on in our hearts. He was CALIFORNIA GOLD
If you live in California & have never watched California Gold, I suggest you watch. His enthusiasm & love for California made his show a pleasure to watch. He'd teach us interesting & little known facts about our state. His smile was contagious.

BabaBooey

I could never stand his stupid thick accent. You can't be a Californian and talk like one of those guys from Moonshiners. I appreciated his efforts, though. Not many people travel around our great state and show the beauty outside the slums of LA. I wish he went to the mountains a bit more, because they are probably the most amazing parts of our state and I wish I could go there more.

Liz

Natural causes at 67?

chris

so sad, he was a fine man, taught us all so much about the beauty and history of our state....and it's not the K.........
He will be greatly missed

Lisa and Mike C.

We loved him (so entertaining) and met him at our local "Pappy And Harriet's".
Heull was a true gentleman and a pleasure to meet. (Cutie-patootey, too!)

We will miss his great narrations about our state.

Bless you sweet boy... UMWHA!!!... (Kisses to you.)

With love,
Mike and Lisa C.
Yucca Valley, CA

Anne

Though he wasn't born here, a little of California's Gold has left us. Even though I didn't know him, it was clear that he was a truly gentle, kind person whose disarming presence brought out the best in the people and places that he profiled. I was saddened to learn of his death today and have enjoyed his show for years. His down-home Southern hospitality style, and an almost childlike wonderment of the world will be missed. RIP Huell.

Ronni

Cali? Cali??! Your intern is mixing up Mexico with California. Too bad Huell's not here to clarify. He was a state treasure. Unlike your dumb intern.

JR Jake

I liked Huell. He was a good man, and made traveling and exploring fun. Being born and raised in Calif, he did allot of segments of the Sierra's, Redwoods and Napa Valley. He showed his audience how to pan for gold and hike the many travels of Yosemite Valley. My kind of guy who loved the outdoors and he people he met along the way. RIP Huell. Sympathies to his family.

LAChris

A great guy who I met many times over the years. A true gentleman and a lover of California and her history. WIll be missed by many. RIP.

larry odell

He passed away at 67 of "Natural Causes"..Uh Oh..I am 57..maybe a decade more?

gina

We are heart-broken! Huell was a personal friend of ours. Palm Springs and California... Lost National Treasure!!! We will Miss our Southern Gentleman Friend! ''God has added another Fabulous Star to Our Heavenly Sky!" R.I.P Precious Friend xo

Melvin

When I heard tonight that he died I was truly hurt, and although I had not watched him in years (didn't know he was still on the air), I used to watch him so much and his show was definitely relaxing and informative. I believe he truly had a genuine good heart.

me

I don't like anyone to pass away. I guess you cross over into something better. RIP

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments