Thomas Gibson

DUI Arrest Video

'STOP RESISTING'

1/8/2013 11:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

010813_thomas_gibson_launch
It took 5 fully-grown police officers to wrestle "Dharma & Greg" star Thomas Gibson to the ground during his DUI bust in L.A. this weekend ... and TMZ has the crazy arrest video.

We broke the story ... cops believe an intoxicated Gibson tried to drive his Audi SUV through a part of downtown L.A. that had been sectioned off for a nighttime half-marathon around 1 AM on Sunday morning.

The footage begins with Gibson standing next to his car speaking with police ... when a bike cop arrives to the scene and screams for the actor to, "Get on the ground, NOW!"

At that point, all of the officers on scene rush toward Gibson and manhandle him to the ground as he yells, "Why?! Why!?"

While Gibson is on the ground, he can be heard telling the cops, "I am NOT resisting ... I am NOT resisting!"

After Gibson is successfully placed in cuffs, the cops help him up and escort him away from his vehicle.

Gibson was eventually taken to a nearby station where he was booked for DUI -- and was released later that day on $15,000 bail.

Gwen

Obviously the cops thought Thomas Gibson was black...

kitnplayn

why why why? because the cameras were running, thats why.

singrajask

up to I saw the paycheck four $4581, I have faith ...that...my friends brother woz like they say actualey receiving money parttime from their computer.. there moms best frend had bean doing this for less than 6 months and just paid the dept on there condo and bourt a great Honda. read more at, Epic2.com

nikynewark

Dharma and Greg? Wasn't that a little old timey? Try Criminal Minds. Didn't watch the footage but if he was driving drunk, then no pity, he deserves a good beatdown.

Democrats are evil

I have lost all respect for street cops. Their desire to show their power over you is awful. Kind of reminds you of the Kelly Thomas beating. Best not to have a name like Thomas.

BOB

DID THE COPS SEE HIM DRIVING????????,,,,IF HE WAS NOT DRIVING ANDOUT OF THE CAR AND THE COPS DIDNT SEE HIM DRIVING,,,,WHY THE DUI,,,,,,,,

BOB

was he pulled over by the cops for drunk driving?????was he driving when he got out of the car to talk to the street closure cop,,,,why the DUI,,,,,,

Peter Sc

It is police brutality and properly the Jante Law is in play here.

That is not resisting arrest. In fact the police here in Denmark would properly only act like this if you are a foreigner or known by the police due to poor origins.

dirtyzeebra

...as opposed to partially grown police officers?
Um, I hope that bike cop got promoted to a Segway.

Piperwest12

I hope TMZ supplies Thomas Gibson and his lawyers a coy of this video, so he can sue for police brutality. There was an unnecessary amount of violence directed towards someone who is just standing there, sounding coherent and sober, rightfully asking why he is being arrested.

nikki

Wow .... That sucks .. our police need to be policed ....

Cartman

I have several friends in law enforcement and I'm told they yell "stop resisting" when they want to rough someone up but they're worried a camera is rolling or someone is watching. Didn't watch the video so don't know what's going on here, but now you know.

Jo

That whioe thing was completely unnecessary. Those cops should be arrested themselves. Wtf. Did he pull out a gun or something. He was just standing there, 5 cops jump him is really what happened here, but as usual the cops will get away with it. Asholes.

Rach

Poor Hotch. :(

EyeSee

I was trying to figure out what was going on so I watched in slow motion and raised the volume and just closed my eyes to listen carefully. I still couldn't hear everything, but this is what seemed to have happened:
When the footage began, the female cop confronting Thomas was already trying to arrest him. She was saying "Turn around, Sir!" I think she said "cross your legs and turn around" (I just heard "cross your" and "turn around"). Thomas was obviously frustrated and shouted "Why? Why?!" Just as he was shouting that, a couple of bike cops rounded the corner. One female bike cop must have heard him shouting. I couldn't tell because of the TMZ watermark (which is really obnoxious btw), but it seemed that the first cop was already holding on to his arm. The 2nd cop must have thought he was being belligerent and rather than just stop and ask what was going on, she overreacted and screamed "Get on the ground! NOW!" Meanwhile the first cop continued to say "Turn around!". The two cops were giving him different instructions with one more quietly saying "turn around" over and over while the other was saying "get on the ground". The tone of the 2nd cop must have alarmed the two male bike cops who were riding straight. They zerged over to help. From the tone cop #2 used, you'd think he must have pulled a gun or done something heinous. I think the other cops who arrived later did not know what was going on, but wanted to back up their fellow officers. Bikes were dropped and they rushed in. Cop #2 grabbed Thomas by one arm, while a male cop grabbed his other. Thomas sounded like he said "Wait! Stopstopstopstopstopstopstop" as he was yanked forward. Even once he was on the ground he said "Stop" a couple more times. I couldn't hear all of the conversation but it sounded like they were telling him to put his arm back and he said "No, I can't" and then he was saying "I am not resisting! I am not resisting". One of the male cops said "Bend your arm back, Sir". Around 42 to 45 seconds in, Thomas sounded like he was saying "Alright, I was almost home" (or something like that- he said "home") and "My garage is right there!" Then they told him to stand up.
I should note that it looked like maybe only 3 cops touched him. Possibly only 2 were pulling him down. The other cops were standing in proximity in case they were needed. I couldn't tell what was happening physically when he was on the ground.
I do think the police overreacted and it was sparked by the 2nd cop on the scene. The first one could have told Thomas why he was being arrested to have avoided this, but apparently she didn't want to.
This happens when the cops treat average people the same way they treat hardened criminals. The hardened criminals have ruined it for others by making the cops feel the need to overcompensate.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments