« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Washington D.C. Mayor

'Redskins' Is RACIST

... It's Time for a Change

1/9/2013 12:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0109-vincent-grey-redskins-getty
It's damn time the Washington Redskins changed its racist name ... at least if the team ever plans to move inside D.C. city limits -- so says District mayor Vincent Gray.

Now that the Redskins are winning again, there's been a lot of talk about bringing the team back to D.C. -- instead of leaving them in nearby FedEx Field, located in Maryland.

But Mayor Gray has some conditions before the Redskins move a muscle -- claiming, “I think that if they get serious with the team coming back to Washington, there’s no doubt there’s going to have to be a discussion about [changing the team name]."

Gray added, “I think it has become a lightning rod, and I would love to be able to sit down with the team … and see if a change should be made. There’s a precedent for this, and I think there needs to be a dispassionate discussion about this, and do the right thing.”

FYI -- the federal government controls the land where a new Redskins stadium would be built in D.C. ... so it does have some say.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

dennis

I doubt if most people equate the term "redskin" to native Americans. Maybe they would prefer "Casino Owners".

djbfe

I just called my redskin potato a racist. See how stupid I sound?

buzz kill

Enough of these politically correct morons already, send the Mayor packing.

KicksandGiggles

I would have responded sooner but the paramedics just left. TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT: This mayor does not have ONE F'ing thing to do with, has no say, where or if the Redskins move. His shorts are in a bunch because the Redskins are NOT coming to a crime riddled expensive DC run by bunch of thieves and going elsewhere. He needs to STFU pronto and worry about the investigations his own lying azz is under!!! And I am sure the paramedics are on their way to Redskins owner Danny Snyder's house next. How DARE Mayor Gray insinuate he has any authority over what the skins do next. Egotistical moron. By the way, keep the name and anybody offended, get a life much more important crap going on such as that bunch of bums called congress!

vicksux

Amen. This guy is a joke for a mayor. Shame on the press for even writing about this lying, dishonest tool. This team is the only thing that brings dems and republican together in dc. Also, he needs to go to a home game and see how many different cultures r there. I can not say the same for many other football team fans. This issue is getting old. HTTR!

diane

Liberals are such f***tards

Toilethead

Screw 'im. Everything is offensive to someone.

Steven318

Yes indeed it's racist I have son Native American friends who are pissed at teams like that I remember a Native American basketball team called the Mighty Whiteys now how do you feel about that? Exactly I know I wouldn't be to fond of a team with a person race as their mascot. Wrong is wrong

MexMen

¿Cambiar el nombre de los Pieles Rojas?, por favor, que se ponga a trabajar en otras propuestas más provechosas.

Laura

Give me a break! It's not racist and I am so sick and tired of people throwing that word around all the time. Stop being so ridiculous people!!

Jeff

D.C. took the rest of the country from them, why not D.C. also!

stiers

How can anyone defend the team name "Redskins." The most derogatory and outright wrong sports name that ever existed...

You're a bigot and illiterate if you stick up for the team name. It refers to leaving the skin of a killed Indian out in the sun and the pigmentation of "red" it turns afterward to prove it was an Indian killed, hence term "REDSKINS"

C'MON MAAAAN... How would you like it if it were called "WhiteSkins," "BlackSkins" or N**erSkins", etc... It wouldn't still exist if not such a minority

bgrowin

Err. Something "derogatory" is not necessarily "racist". Let's stop throwing the term racist around so much.

Johnny

the DC Mayor is not only notoriously corrupt, but also racist....so he probably doesn't have much to stand on here.

If sense were common...

Mayor, go get bent.

"There's no question, the term "redskins" is flat-out racist ... but we still gotta ask ..."

TMZ, speak for yourselves. Stop making a problem where there wasn't any. Did all of you you cry racist suddenly wake up after having been asleep since the team came into existence? A**wipes.