Quentin Tarantino

Explodes on Reporter

Don't Ask Me About Movie Violence!!!

1/11/2013 8:37 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Quentin Tarantino says he's sick and tired of talking about the connection between movie violence and real violence ... and ERUPTED on a British news reporter who asked about it during an interview about "Django Unchained."

Tarantino was sitting down with Krishnan Guru-Murthy -- a self-proclaimed "fan" of Q's movies -- when he asked, "Why are you so sure that there's no link between enjoying movie violence and enjoying real violence?"

A flustered Tarantino replied,  "Don't ask me a question like that ... I'm not biting ... I refuse your question."

When Guru-Murthy asked "why" ... Q explained, "Because I refuse your question. I'm not your slave and you're not my master. You can't make me dance to your tune. I'm not a monkey."

Quentin explained that the interview was supposed to be a "commercial" for his movie -- and he has no obligation to explore the topic of real-life violence.

KGM shot back -- "Well, look ... this is a news program, not a film program, so we explore serious themes."

The two went back and forth in a pretty heated exchange for several minutes.

Eventually, KGM was able to shift topics ... and QT continued like the awkward argument never happened.

sean

My opinion I don't believe Mr. Tarantino has a racist bone in his body. The problem isn't with this movie it is with America's unresolved issues of racism and the history of slavery in this country.

JDoors

Hey, Tarantino is an expert at making exciting, if repetitive, movies. He's no expert on how or if movie and other media violence influences violent behavior. Good for him for shutting up about it.

Bad for him to admit the only reason he does interviews is to advertise the movies. Oh, we KNOW that, but we'd like to pretend the interview allows us to indulge our interests in you as a person AND director.

pixnsticks

Good for Tarantino. Nonsense is the News reporting to all the unstable folks on any issue prevalent in our society today. Yes Virginia all media causes nuts to roll.

HRH Prince Michael

@Sean: "...America's unresolved issue of racism and slavery in this country...."
You, are merely perpetuating a tired, well-played and exploited myth. When The U.S. Pharaoh was PLACED into office in '08 -before a Native-American, Italian-American, Latino-American, Pacific-Islander American, and others- the issue
was -once and for all - RESOLVED.
1968 called and left a message for you:
It wants it's hateful and exploited mentality back.

The House of David 2 Chronicles 13 Victory, is HERE:

roll3567

watch him is exhausting. does he stop moving for a second? hats off to that reporter. he hung in there.

Pavlov

QT never hesitates to voice his opinions on social matters, so why was this question so hard for him?

BoredInRI

QT is a self indulgent doucheb*g

wendy

I love tarentino. and he's right, he always creates a buzz when he has a new movie. i don't care for all his movies, but i like the man and i can't believe he didn't walk out during the interview, that reporter behaved like a rookie.

tenley

What's the point of the entire advertising industry if a 30-second spot has no influence on behavior? Just saying.

Gita

El Quentin Tarantino has GUEVOS!!!!! lol Hey that movie is explosive. I love his movies.

Meh..

There's this passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to ASK ME ONE MORE GOD DAMN QUESTION!!!.

Virtual Insanity

He asked Tarentino a reasonable question. However, Tarentino had every right to refuse to answer the question. What bothers me about this is that we all love Tarentino because he is fearless, but when the reporter asks fearless question, he berates him. Just refuse to answer- and leave it there. I don't think artists (in this case, filmmakers) need to justify their art. As consumers, we need to ask where the links between film and violence are and whether we want to put our money there.

Sammie

How funny...the HYPOCRITES just can't stand it when any responsibility gets laid at their feet at all.

tenley

I am so sick of turd bag celebrities acting as though reporters shouldn't ask relevant newsworthy questions and that the point of news interviews is to give Hollywood free advertising.

Patricklee Hamilton

Excuse me. but did Q use "slave" and "Monkey" in the same sentence? Oops!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments