Centers for Disease Control

Ignore Hugh Jackman

... GET YOUR FLU SHOT

1/14/2013 11:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0114_hugh_jackman_cdc_getty
Hugh Jackman
's Golden Globes acceptance speech last night was stuffed up with TERRIBLE ADVICE -- when he jokes that flu shots aren't necessary -- and now, the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention are on a mission to correct his message.

A rep for the CDC tells TMZ, "I don’t know if he really meant that vaccination was not a good thing to do, but each year millions become ill with influenza; more than 200,000 may be hospitalized; and between 3,000 and 49,000 will die."

The rep adds, "The first and most important step in protecting against the flu is to get a flu vaccine each season."

For those who missed the show, Hugh took the stage after winning Best Actor in a comedy or musical -- and joked, "Sorry, I’m at the tail end of this flu and I was kicking myself for not getting the flu shot ... but it appears actually you don’t need one.  I feel great!"

Bottom line: get your damn flu shot.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

KittyKittyKitty

Yikes!

She's baaaack

I guess he's going to the Susanne Somers/Jenny McCarthy Medical School now.

YouDontSay

What idiot got that wrong. Clearly he meant he felt great at the moment of winning the award. No wonder there are so many sheep on the planet.

bernergirl

He didn't mean not to get a flu shot, he meant the golden globe made him feel so much better. So unless you are getting a Golden Globe, get a flu shot! (remember he can afford to miss a couple of weeks of work, most can't, that should be reason enough to get one)

pegasus

He's right...vaccines are poison.

D-INCARNATION

Huge A $$

I'm A Lawyer

No, Hugh was right. Flu shots are BS. I've never gotten one. If i get the flu, it's nothing a little Theraflu can't fix. Only take it when the symptoms are bad, other than that, i just let it ride. We got an immune system for a reason. Gotta let your body fight on it's own.

Antsixsixsix

I wouldn't get it anyways. Can't trust the government. They are the ones that unleashed HIV on humans through the Hepatitis B vaccine.

Mikey

I got the flu cause I didn't get a flu shot, but now I feel better so no one else needs to get a flu shot.

Yea, thats how hollywood actors think.

Jen

Sure. Flu shots are great if you want to be sterilized.

WealthCop.com

If you look at the tape again, you can see he was JOKING, saying that winning the trophy made it all feel better.

Mike

I think he was making a joke that he didn't need a flu shot to feel great, he only needed to win a Golden Globe. Sheesh people, lighten up.

Mikey

Don't give me the dead virus to fool my body into build antibodies, give me the live sh!t so I can really battle it out like real hollywood actors do.

RachesRules

Oh brother! It was a joke people!! And BTW, flu shots are a personal choice, it's not a cure. With all the different strains out there it's all a crap shoot anyway! This was just a funny comment from a healthy middle aged man, take it for what it's worth everyone!!

TNastyFunktown

Holy sh*t, TMZ...you've been on quite a roll these past few days trying to cultivate stories out of nonsense, lol. He was making a joke. Did you actually waste the CDC's time with a prodding phone call? I'm almost certain they didn't call you.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments