Centers for Disease Control

Ignore Hugh Jackman

... GET YOUR FLU SHOT

1/14/2013 11:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0114_hugh_jackman_cdc_getty
Hugh Jackman
's Golden Globes acceptance speech last night was stuffed up with TERRIBLE ADVICE -- when he jokes that flu shots aren't necessary -- and now, the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention are on a mission to correct his message.

A rep for the CDC tells TMZ, "I don’t know if he really meant that vaccination was not a good thing to do, but each year millions become ill with influenza; more than 200,000 may be hospitalized; and between 3,000 and 49,000 will die."

The rep adds, "The first and most important step in protecting against the flu is to get a flu vaccine each season."

For those who missed the show, Hugh took the stage after winning Best Actor in a comedy or musical -- and joked, "Sorry, I’m at the tail end of this flu and I was kicking myself for not getting the flu shot ... but it appears actually you don’t need one.  I feel great!"

Bottom line: get your damn flu shot.

MichelleWW

The CDC is ridiculous.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

CDC is ran by Big Pharma. Flu shots are the number one money making scheme come fall. And the number one most important step is washing your damn hands.

Cindy

Flu shots have been proven over and over to be ineffective! You can look up those studies rather easily. I'm a nurse and I would never get one, neither do the doctors I know. However, we are forced to tell everyone else that they must get on. The FDA is run by Big Pharma and so thats why everyone is told to get a shot....so that ultimately Big Pharma can make the bucks.

PS, I haven't had a flu or cold in 10 years because I use a Netti pot. They've been used to 10,000 years in India, but Dr. Oz has recently endorsed them, so now they seem to be "legit".

Mayu

I'm 36 years old and can't get the flu shot because I'm allergic to eggs. In 36 years I've had the flu a total of 5 times. My mom has only had the flu twice in her 65 years (knock on wood). My grandma had the flu shot about 8 years ago and got extremely sick. My great aunt had a flu shot at her doctor's recommendation and got really sick. They claim they probably had the flu before getting the shot, or had a strain of the flu that wasn't covered by that year's vaccinations. sooooooo... yeah.

Julie

he is right! cover your mouth and take your vitamins and you will be fine. Most adults, let alone kids dont cover their mouths OR wash their hands so this normal flu bug is passed around. Usually kids from school catch it from other kids and pass it to their parents, who then bring it to work. Ridiculous cycle. But the flu shot is NOT the answer. BTW Im a nurse and there are no more flu cases than there were last year. There just isnt that much news right now so the MEDIA is blowing it out of the water. Hmmm Maybe one of the owners of CNN, MSNBC etc have stake in the vaccine maker.. just a thought.

jenn

is this for real, HE WAS JOKING, anyone who thought he was serious need to check themselves into mental hospital, because you have no common sense

Pamela

The people I know that got the flu shot got the flu and doctors said it was a diff strain of flu. Has the CDC mentioned that????? I said doctors because each person had a diff doctor. TMZ since you have no good stories lately, ask CDC abt that.

SusanCoyote

What a douche! What kind of ... man does mostly musicals? Lame! Musicals are for fat, bored housewives and gay guys.

LISA

What message? It seems like he meant the award made him feel better. Nikki and Pattycakes were talking about getting the flu shot earlier in the Lindsay Lohan article - now TMZ is telling us to get our flu shot. Could this mean TMZ listens and cares about us?

ThirdFromTheLeft

Huh!? I took it as a dig against crackpot, anti-vaccine, conspiracy theorists. As in, flake extraordinaire, Jenny McCarthy told him that he doesn't need one (even though he got sick) so now he 'feels better'.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

The last couple of times I got the flu shot, I got sick as hell. Last time the nurse asked why I refused the shot, I told her and she said she hears about that a lot.

Boing!

Nope, sorry CDC I'm taking his advice. I'm winning a Golden Globe instead of taking a flu shot.

hoosier

Will never get the flu shot for myself or my kids

BB not bb

Do not get the flu vaccine contains live virus and causes the flu. People who get it get sick, people who don't probably won't get it. Vaccines are dangerous and are just injecting poison and toxic waste into your blood.

The cure for the flu is broth, bed rest and baths. Don't run to the doctors for their vaccines and bogus treatments that make you sicker.

swaogasgo

I've had one once, I got the flu with the shot, and got the flu 4 more times that year, I've not gotten a flu shot since and ......suprise I've not had the flu since.

in the 70's a guy wrote a book about controlling the population with va caccines, he is the head of obama's dept of health now
I begin to wonder as then hand these shots out everywhere and when I go to the dr. the PUSH the flu shot on you