Huell Howser

Cause of Death Revealed

1/15/2013 3:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0115-huell-howser-getty-doc-launch
TV icon Huell Howser -- who hosted KCET's "California's Gold" for 18 seasons -- died after a battle with prostate cancer ... this according to his official death certificate, obtained by TMZ.

Howser passed away at 2:35 AM on January 7 at his home in Palm Springs, CA ... just a short time after he quietly and unexpectedly retired from TV.

According to the death certificate, filed with the Dept. of Health, Huell's remains were cremated ... and his ashes were scattered at sea ... off the coast of L.A. County.

Huell -- who worked as a reporter for "Entertainment Tonight" back in the '80s -- was never married and had no children.  He was 67 years old.

Stephanie Rittel

I always loved watching your programs....will miss you and you were awesome!

TigerLily

Loved watching the show. Bought a few episodes. Looking forward to reruns. May his soul rest in peace. Now my sister is in better company too. Miss u!

smickeymike

I will sorely miss Huell Howser!

Timmy Boy

F*ck cancer! RIP Huell.

Franc

I wondered what he died of. A helluva guy. RIP

Rebsy

It was fairly common knowledge that he was gay, he didn't hide it. Loved him, he was hilarious, sometimes without meaning to be

Scary

I really liked the episodes where he went looking for the corners of California, and he found that people mistakenly thought they were in Oregon when they really were still in CA. Ha.

tamara

His show was so good, informative, entertaining. He will be missed by many.
RIP Huell

keef

Cartoon about Huell: http://www.kchronicles.com/2013/01/14/huell-howser/

Jenn

Rest in peace, Mr. Howser. You were my favorite tv host. I visited several places in California, because of your show. I hope PBS continues to air "California's Gold" for many, many years. You will be greatly missed.

leon

Huell Howser ,,,, was he related to Doogie?

anon

R.I.P. Mr. Huell Howser.

Patrick

I find that listing what is done with somebody's body after death to be of very POOR TASTE and NOT TO BE POSTED EVER!!!!!SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

James Hayton

I am still in disbelief that he has died... Even though I Live in Palm Springs and am not straight, I was surprised to find out Huell was the same as me!!
RIP Amigo

Dennis

It would be nice to know whether he tried to treat this nutritionally, or how - my dr recommended saw palmetto which I try to remember to take - just to keep the prostrate healthy - I have no history of problems in this area -

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments