'Diff'rent Strokes' Star

Conrad Bain Dead at 89

1/16/2013 12:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0116_conrad_bain
Actor Conrad Bain -- who famously played father figure Phillip Drummond on "Diff'rent Strokes" -- has passed away. He was 89.

Bain family sources tell TMZ, Bain died Monday night at a retirement home in Livermore, CA from natural causes.

We spoke with Bain's daughter Jennifer who tells us, "He was an amazing person. He was a lot like Mr. Drummond, but much more interesting in real life. He was an amazing father."

Bain -- who became a household name starring opposite Gary Coleman and Todd Bridges on the iconic 80s series -- is survived by his three sons and one daughter. He also has a surviving twin brother Bonar Bain.

Bain's daughter says he spent his last few days with his family. Bain would have turned 90 on February 4th.

0115_conrad_bain_footer

John

Whatcha talkin bout Willis

Jesus this was like the best show on when I was a kid...

wonderful actor and I remember hearing he was a real guy who tried to help out where he could...

this sucks...

Stephanie Schwartz

RIP

Jake

Rest In Peace Arthur Harmon........You're giving Maude and Vivian headaches in Heaven now.....

Hobie

Loved that guy, condolences to the family.

Penny

A Canadian ACTOR! RIP

Sunset Strip Dealer

Rumor has it, he looked at a picture of Ronald McLohan's vagina and fell over lifeless.

Leila Thomas

RIP PHIL DRUMMOND..WAT A GREAT CHILDHOOD SHOW!

Donz0

...And then there was one (unless you want to count Mary Jo Catlett). May you rest in peace, Conrad.

Donna

From all that I've read about him, a classy guy. He was great in "Diff'rent Strokes" and "Maude." R.I.P.

Georgiagirl

Oh not Mr Drummond! I love me some Mr Drummond! He was so much like my dad it's unreal. The voice and demeanor and I always got to watch with my dad. He was an awesome part of my childhood and a part of a time that is gone but missed.

dale12

Conrad Bain was also on the TV Show "Maude," he played Maude's Husband Walter best Friend.... Condolences to the Bain Family, Godspeed.

moxie

Rest in peace Conrad.

bitchfistcomics.com

Can't believe this guy outlived Gary Coleman

Britt

Conrad Bain was born in Lethbridge, Alberta. Conrad was a twin, Brother named Bonar. He enjoyed Canadian sports growing up (ice hockey, speed skating), but picked up an interest in acting while in high school. Trained at Alberta's Banff School of Fine Arts after graduating. He joined the Canadian Army during World War II, then following his discharge studied at New York's American Academy of Dramatic Arts.

john johnson

r.i.p. mr. drummond! i always thought of him as a black man, lol. how else could he keep arnold and willis in line.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments