« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Manti Te'o

I Was Duped

and I'm Humiliated

1/16/2013 3:24 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0116-manti-teo-getty
Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o claims he's a victim who fell for someone's "sick joke" ... and he's really embarrassed over the scandal that's erupted over his not-really-dead girlfriend.

Back in September, Te'o told multiple media outlets that his girlfriend Lennay Kekua had died after a bout with cancer ... hours after his grandmother passed away.   The story was so emotional, it helped catapult him to fame.

But earlier today, a story broke that Lennay was a fiction -- which means she never died because she never lived.  Question is ... was Manti in on the hoax?

According to Manti ... the answer is no. The football star now says:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

Manti Te'o

• Victim
  • In on it
In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

Are you buyin' what he's sellin'?

0116_manti_teo_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

ray

scam did not work, it did not win the heisman for him.

Meg

Of course he's telling the truth. Why Would he voluntarily make himself look so stupid?

dtc

He got played in a catfish situation bull****, in 2009 he said he met her after a Notre dame Stanford game, she has been on a lot off their family vacations and ****. I thought in catfish situations you met online, and hoped someday you would met in person after developing a real relationship.

Ben Choad

How exactly is she your girlfriend if you have never met her in person? And why did your dad mention that you had met her several times in Hawaii?
Complete BS. This guy is full of crap

Ben Choad

Congratulations, its only January and you have been nominated as THE C.U.N.T Muscle of the Year

Jay Singer

TMZ viewers are so incredibly cynical. I wouldn't want to prejudge someone who has the courage to admit that he was duped and humiliated. The majority of
people who comment here are sickos!

Blah_Blah_Blah

Ummmmm....Gay Maybe??

brainscan

Brainscan who are you to judge others? I have many names and my true name is "Nobody". Who are you to judge me false God that kills the innocent before their time? It's for you to decide who God is Nobody and who are you to judge God and his actions Nobody? I am just a man for now but I also know your flaws false God...

mandii~sue

He got Catfished! Ha! Awesome!

Derrick

What is this 1950???? How are you calling some girl your girlfriend and you never met her???? Yeah right...either you are in on it or you are the dumbest jock in history.

Violent Pope

That dude is a knob.

bernergirl

He made it up.... Read his interview before this broke! I say have him produce the receipt for the white roses! http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/04/3166978/for-notre-dames-manti-teo-life.html

lynkel

Ha hahahaha you got CATFISHED . Dont worry....ots happened to me too. But damn the text sex was good.

jack

He's a VICTIM definitely!!! No poll was necessary on this one! Look at him... Who would want him?
He's PUKE-A-RAMA... Icky pooh. yuck yuck

And you ask how I know this??? Because I am very beautiful and have very large boobs.

EasilyHard