Nigel Lythgoe

'American Idol' Could Die

Without Ryan Seacrest

1/16/2013 6:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

011513_nigel_lythgoe_launch
Ryan Seacrest is the lifeblood of "American Idol" ... and without him, the show would struggle to survive -- so says executive producer Nigel Lythgoe.

Nigel was out in L.A. yesterday when we asked if Seacrest was considered dispensable, much like the judges -- and Nigel replied, "Ryan Seacrest drives the entire program. He's not on an earpiece or anything. He's not beholden to anybody. He controls the show. He's really important."

He added, "It would be very, very difficult to replace Ryan Seacrest."

But the bottom line, Nigel believes "American Idol" transcends any one individual -- saying, "I've never believed that Idol as a franchise is beholden to any individual because everybody said it would die the minute Simon Cowell left, and it hasn't."

Perhaps, but it's hardly the same either ... so we gotta ask ...

Cheryl A.

I never watched this show but I believe that if Simon could leave and it was fine, it will be fine without Ryan.

Jenna5960

Idol is due to die soon anyway. How long is this show gonna last?

Spicy mag

What a great way to negotiate his salary. Why not just give him ownership of the show. Seacrest has looked tired for 5 years. Fire him so he can get some sleep. Focus on the bad auditions like the first few seasons of the show and stack the judges panel with *******s and you will get ratings

JFO

Uh ... I highly doubt that. What he's doing you could hire a trained monkey to do ... it's not rocket science folks.

Vince

Is that still on? I thought it was in reruns..hmm....guess American TV has gotten that bad.

IowaDimples

I lost all interest when they hired that self entitled princess Mariah and no talent Nicki. I feel sorry for the contestants.

LISA

Um .... TMZ? What is up with that stupid, misleading headline?

Did your 'journalist' not realize there would be a clip included in this article?

Please stop with the false drama - you are just making your staff look desperate or untrustworthy! He simply complimented Ryan and said he would be difficult to replace. He also said American Idol is not beholden to any individual.

That said, I do believe American Idol would go bye-buhhye without Ryan. I saw the show once when Steven Tyler was on it, but I haven't really watched it since Simon left .. I think it's on its way out, regardless.

thugzilla

'Idol' will die without Ryan

Why dont they give you the option to vote WHO CARES??

Observer999

Let it die, it's so far past its prime, I can smell it from here. Almost everyone except 13-year-old girls stopped caring 5 years ago.

Observer999

Truth

DUDE, GET A CLUE... THE DUMB ASS SHOW IS DYING ON ITS OWN. POINT BLANK! #TRUTH!!

Cat

Nigel is trying to drum up publicity for the show. Idol is not all that anymore.. The Voice is number one now..

The Ghost of John Lennon

Who the F*ck wants to be an "American Idol?" Trust Me i tried it and it got me killed! You see, we believed the Beatles myth, too. I
don’t know whether the others still believe it. We were four guys… I
met Paul, and said, “You want to join me band?” Then George joined and
then Ringo joined. We were just a band that made it very, very, big
that’s all. Our best work was never recorded. We did'nt need no f*ucking "American Idol" or X-Factor or whatever the sh*t is these days. Im not around to enjoy but i hear about it all. Because we were performers — in spite of what Mick says about us
— in Liverpool, Hamburg and other dance halls. What we generated was
fantastic, when we played straight rock, and there was nobody to touch
us in Britain. As soon as we made it, we made it, but the edges were
knocked off. You know Brian put us in suits and all that, and we made it very, very
big. But we sold out, you know. The music was dead before we even went
on the theater tour of Britain. We were feeling sh*t already, because we
had to reduce an hour or two hours’ playing, which we were glad about in
one way, to 20 minutes, and we would go on and repeat the same 20
minutes every night. The Beatles music died then, as musicians. That’s why we never improved
as musicians; we killed ourselves then to make it. And that was the end
of it. George and I are more inclined to say that; we always missed the
club dates because that’s when we were playing music, and then later on
we became technically, efficient recording artists — which was another
thing — because we were competent people and whatever media you put us
in we can produce something worthwhile. F*uck "American Idol" and F*uck Fame and Mick Jagger! With all that F*g Dancing he still does!

PG

How about if Ryan just dies?

StarryStarryNight