'Dear Abby' Creator

Pauline Phillips

Dead at 94

1/17/2013 11:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0117_dear_abby_pauline_phillips_2

Pauline Phillips --the woman who founded the "Dear Abby" advice column -- died yesterday at the age of 94.

A rep for Phillips tells TMZ ... Pauline had been battling Alzheimer's disease.

Pauline's daughter, Jeanne -- who took over the "Dear Abby" column -- says ... "I have lost my mother, my mentor and my best friend."

She adds, "My mother leaves very big high heels to fill with a legacy of compassion,commitment and positive social change. I will honor her memory every day by continuing this legacy."

"Dear Abby" first appeared in print in 1956  -- and eventually grew to a daily readership of 100 MILLION.

Pauline's twin sister was advice columnist Ann Landers -- who died in 2002 at the age of 83.

During her career, Phillips used the pen name Abigail Van Buren -- she used the name "Abigail" from the wise woman in the Old Testament and "Van Buren" was adopted in honor of one of her favorite presidents.

0117_remembering_pauline_phillips_footer

Straight Talkin Texan

RIP, lovely lady.

GramCat

I'm new here -- and haven't read any comments yet -- but I'm sure the board will be full of comments addressed to the DECEASED subject of the article.

I just do not fathom this.
The lady is not reading these comments.
What part of DEAD to you not understand ??

GramCat

Haven't read any of the comments yet -- but there will certainly be many addressed to the DECEASED subject of this article.
SMH
Why do those folk think this lady is reading this board??
What part of DEAD do they not understand ???

TJ

Part of everyone's history! Many grew up reading the
columns of the two sisters. More icons gone .Condolences to the family.

anon

R.I.P. Ms. Pauline Phillips.

I remember reading your daily columns before there was an internet to go search for advice.

Toallthehatersoftheworld

Rip I remember reading her advice

TJ

You flag the creeps on here, but TMZ doesn't seem to respond. Nobody wants to reads the stupid ignorant comments they put on here.

Laura

When I heard about and landers, the first person that came in mind was John Prine--my favorite song was Dear Abby--One Mpls girl to another.........RIP.....

Classylady

Saggy abby skin is all saggy from tanning.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3