'Dear Abby' Creator

Pauline Phillips

Dead at 94

1/17/2013 11:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0117_dear_abby_pauline_phillips_2

Pauline Phillips --the woman who founded the "Dear Abby" advice column -- died yesterday at the age of 94.

A rep for Phillips tells TMZ ... Pauline had been battling Alzheimer's disease.

Pauline's daughter, Jeanne -- who took over the "Dear Abby" column -- says ... "I have lost my mother, my mentor and my best friend."

She adds, "My mother leaves very big high heels to fill with a legacy of compassion,commitment and positive social change. I will honor her memory every day by continuing this legacy."

"Dear Abby" first appeared in print in 1956  -- and eventually grew to a daily readership of 100 MILLION.

Pauline's twin sister was advice columnist Ann Landers -- who died in 2002 at the age of 83.

During her career, Phillips used the pen name Abigail Van Buren -- she used the name "Abigail" from the wise woman in the Old Testament and "Van Buren" was adopted in honor of one of her favorite presidents.

0117_remembering_pauline_phillips_footer

Lisa

I thought she was already dead :-/

mya89

Areader

My prayers go out to her daughter Jeanne and her family.

Cheryl A.

My deepest condolences to her family. I loved the Dear Abby column.

billybob

A-bop-bop-a-loom-op a-lop-bop-boooommm...

DaveT

RIP, kinda sad she's gone, her and Ann Landers, Ann being the one who more commonly ran in newspapers here locally, and gave a lot of good advice, compared to today's advice givers who seem to commonly have ego issues and agendas, sorry to see both of these women gone, RIP

WiddoMouse

I got lots of common sense advice throughout the years from both Abby and Ann. They were part of my adolescent and young adult years. Sorry to see them both gone now. My sympathy to their families.

lolurdumb

Love you Abby rest in peace .

Woot

Aw, I'm sorry. She'll never be forgotten, that's for sure. Rest in peace, Pauline.

Kenneth34

Hahahahahahaha I'm glad that old bitch ib dead lmfao :):):):)

HRH Prince Michael

As a young-boy I read her column, it gave me insight on "grown-up" matters.
The House of David offers condolences and prayers
for the Family, Loved-ones, and fans, of Pauline Phillips.
Dear Abby: May The True and Living Yahweh, bless your soul.

kp

Dear Abby: What is heaven like? Signed, RIP.

Wow ...

RIP. Sincere sympathy.

KnuckleDragger

Always poignant advice from both sisters. Collectively...we thank you for your time.

melodyann

Huge loss. This lady broke ground in a time when women in the office were still paid less & not treated fair. Pending our ages, most of our grandparents, greatgrandparents were Dear Abby fans.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments