« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lance Armstrong

YES, I DOPED

1/18/2013 6:02 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

011713_lance_oprah_550x550
Lance Armstrong
just confessed ... EVERYTHING.

Lance admitted it all during his Oprah interview -- saying he took banned substances to enhance his cycling performances before all 7 of his Tour de France wins ... he blood doped ... he took testosterone ... EPO ... human growth hormone ... everything you can imagine.

Lance had denied the allegations for years -- and when Oprah asked why he came forward now, Lance replied, "I don't know that I have a great answer. I will start now by saying this is too late ... I view this situation as one big lie that I repeated a lot of times ... I am a flawed character."

He added, "I didn't invent the [doping] culture, but I did nothing to stop the culture ... and I am sorry for that."

Lance said he began using EPO (erythropoietin) -- a hormone that enhances red blood cell production -- in the mid 90s.

When asked if he was ever afraid he'd be caught -- Lance replied, "No."
When asked if it felt wrong at the time -- Lance replied, "No."
When asked if he felt like he was cheating -- he replied, "No ... I viewed it as a level playing field."

As for how the whole operation worked, Armstrong hedged on the details -- saying, "I viewed it as very simple. You had things that were oxygen-boosting drugs, for lack of a better word, that were incredibly beneficial for endurance sports. And that's all you needed."

He added, "My cocktail was only EPO ... not a lot ... transfusions and testosterone."

Lance -- who referred to his former self as "an arrogant pr*ck" -- isn't shocked by the outrage over his lies and deceit ... saying, "I deserve it."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bev

No! His lying and cheating kept other athletes out of having a chance to win and the chance will probably never come again.

maria

Someone is hating on peoples comments on hating Lance for his doping/cheating....hmmmm...they must be a druggy themselves, they all stick together.

BLues

FORGIVE LANCE? It's not about forgiveness. It's not about anyone forgiving Lance. One broad sweep of YOU ARE FORGIVEN LANCE, is to simple. It's much more complicated than forgiveness. Justifying his lies, deceit, abuse of others, the shame he brought to his children as not bad because other athletes most likely doped is a Lanceism. Stop justifying what he did as NORMAL!

missnyfl

"Level playing field." Translation: Everyone else was doing it, so it was OK for me to. Therefore, I'm not really sorry.

werduptoyomoms

Personally I think this whole argument is ignorant and pointless. Who cares if TMZ readers forgive Lance? Believe me when I say there are a whole heap of people who WON'T be so forgiving and will be filing lawsuits out the a$$ now that he's admitted to doping. He should have just taken it to the grave. He's a disappointment either way, and everyone already knew he was guilty, now we get to watch millions of dollars wasted on the circus that will ensue because of his "coming clean". This is such a waste of time. With or without this, PED's are here to stay. Sorry to disappoint all you straight-edgers...

taffy84

The only time I care about some one on bike is x games. Other then that its one of the most boring sport out there.

Twilightstar

Yawn! OK so what? I don't understand why Lance feels the need to "bare his soul" now. Maybe he is trolling for a book deal and needs to appear relevant)

He is getting a bit old to race any way so what is the point?

And as for Oprah's "big scoop" -- Oprah this is old tired stuff. A couple of years ago yeah it would have been a bit of a ratings popper but now..... not so much.

CountryGal

This guy is a huge loser with a HUGE attitude. I watched two seconds of this lame interview and he is so full of himself and he's not sorry. He also cheated on his wife. Nice guy! NOT

CountryGal

Sit and spin you lying cheating POS. You are done!

DaveT

"Yes, I Doped" t-shirts soon to hit the market and sell millions.
If I had the connections I'd have them printed up and marketed and make bank.
Now I'll just have to wait and see them on Amazon after someone steals my idea...

Tarzone

What I want to know...did the drugs help him beat the cancer thing...Has anyone looked into the fact that the drugs he took at the time put his cancer in remission...if so he may be a cheat...but he might have found the cure for cancer

nikynewark

He should have just shut up. Now he opened a whole new can of worms.

QueenB

You don't say...Get out here..LOL

Ginger

No matter what he says no one is gonna listen at this point. He's not the first one to do this and won't be the last.

Ahha!

I am currently watching this interview and to me he doesn't come across as being all that ashamed of his choices. I can't help but wonder if someone who has lied so well for so long doesn't have some sort of clinical personality disorder. I'll admit, I've told lies in my past that I wished I hadn't told and it was horrible walking around with the guilt until I finally fessed up!! But to lie again and again for so many years as Lance has done....I don't think I could stand to live with myself.