« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lance Armstrong

YES, I DOPED

1/18/2013 6:02 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

011713_lance_oprah_550x550
Lance Armstrong
just confessed ... EVERYTHING.

Lance admitted it all during his Oprah interview -- saying he took banned substances to enhance his cycling performances before all 7 of his Tour de France wins ... he blood doped ... he took testosterone ... EPO ... human growth hormone ... everything you can imagine.

Lance had denied the allegations for years -- and when Oprah asked why he came forward now, Lance replied, "I don't know that I have a great answer. I will start now by saying this is too late ... I view this situation as one big lie that I repeated a lot of times ... I am a flawed character."

He added, "I didn't invent the [doping] culture, but I did nothing to stop the culture ... and I am sorry for that."

Lance said he began using EPO (erythropoietin) -- a hormone that enhances red blood cell production -- in the mid 90s.

When asked if he was ever afraid he'd be caught -- Lance replied, "No."
When asked if it felt wrong at the time -- Lance replied, "No."
When asked if he felt like he was cheating -- he replied, "No ... I viewed it as a level playing field."

As for how the whole operation worked, Armstrong hedged on the details -- saying, "I viewed it as very simple. You had things that were oxygen-boosting drugs, for lack of a better word, that were incredibly beneficial for endurance sports. And that's all you needed."

He added, "My cocktail was only EPO ... not a lot ... transfusions and testosterone."

Lance -- who referred to his former self as "an arrogant pr*ck" -- isn't shocked by the outrage over his lies and deceit ... saying, "I deserve it."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

LindaJay

Yes, we know! What a national shame, since he ran in the name of the United States of America. A cheater.

Terija

LYING piece of ****!

Karla

Oprah gave the worst interview ever. Her questions were so irrelevant and amateurish. Honestly, a first year law student could have asked better questions. She focused on irrelevant information repeatedly and failed. Truly dumbing it down for the ratings. Try focusing on the key facts. He was totally wrong but did not rat out the whole organization. Guess she knew nobody would pick up on her terrible job and be swayed by emotion. Man, she blew a great opportunity.

Jah36

Regardless of whatever he did...still better than being a n*gger like Oprah.

CasinoPImp

Lance defamed & destroyed so many lives in his endless need for fame and money. Those people who's lives he destroyed need to sue for defamation of character. Also, I have no doubt that Lance started his cancer foundation to garner public support. He knew the **** would come down someday, and he'd need the good image to help insulate himself. Pathetic.

DBreesman

It was a compelling interview. Props to Oprah. Can't wait to see part 2. I'm not judging him. It's not anyone's place except him and GOD to judge. Just sssshhhhh and listen. You might learn something!

Hohan

Liar Liar Lance on Fire!

skatehobo

Come on everyone is acting like he was the only one doing it in his time I can guarantee u about 95% of cyclist were doing some type of steroid im not defending him but why not ask all the cyclist who raced against him if they weren't on something I guarantee it at least majority of them will say the didn't take performance enhancing drugs

Andrew

First his defenders said those going after him were "haters" and just jealous of his accomplishments. Then, when he gave up his fight they said, "Congrats, you finally made Lance quit. Are you happy with your witch hunt?"......And now after he admits they end it with, "Does anyone really care?"

Gigi

In the big scheme of things, Lance has done far more good than bad in his life. I can forgive him and move forward. So Lance, if it makes you feel better, there is at least one person in the world who doesn't think you are a piece of ****.

KnuckleDragger

Well, now I know what to say when someone asks what's the most expensive crank you buy!

backfire

I would forgive if it weren't for the fact that he sabotaged the life and destiny of so many athletes who could have been the winners and had their life take an entirely different turn.

marilyn

yes we all knew he probably had but come on how many do drugs of some sort in any sport and never get caught or do much later in life he will not be the l
first or the last as long as drugs are around people take them whether it is right or wrong what is the answer to prevent this doping anyone

Twiz

I think it is funny how everyone is judging the words that Lance Armstrong used but have only seen part of the interview. none of us making comments has any clue what part 2 of the interview will hold. I saw a number of comments that said it best, "Only God can judge"

Jen

Yes, it is too little too late. Mostly because he denied it so aggressively so many times, and apparently hid his secret even more aggressively. That's not an accident or a moment of bad judgement, that is bad character. On the one hand I think it is easy to come clean when you have already been called out very definitely and are at rock bottom already. On the other hand a part of me feels like this moment might be the first admirable moment in his life. Because he will be hated forever for it, and never celebrated again, and he's facing it head on, and it might not make up for it but it's still pretty brave.