« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lance Armstrong

YES, I DOPED

1/18/2013 6:02 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

011713_lance_oprah_550x550
Lance Armstrong
just confessed ... EVERYTHING.

Lance admitted it all during his Oprah interview -- saying he took banned substances to enhance his cycling performances before all 7 of his Tour de France wins ... he blood doped ... he took testosterone ... EPO ... human growth hormone ... everything you can imagine.

Lance had denied the allegations for years -- and when Oprah asked why he came forward now, Lance replied, "I don't know that I have a great answer. I will start now by saying this is too late ... I view this situation as one big lie that I repeated a lot of times ... I am a flawed character."

He added, "I didn't invent the [doping] culture, but I did nothing to stop the culture ... and I am sorry for that."

Lance said he began using EPO (erythropoietin) -- a hormone that enhances red blood cell production -- in the mid 90s.

When asked if he was ever afraid he'd be caught -- Lance replied, "No."
When asked if it felt wrong at the time -- Lance replied, "No."
When asked if he felt like he was cheating -- he replied, "No ... I viewed it as a level playing field."

As for how the whole operation worked, Armstrong hedged on the details -- saying, "I viewed it as very simple. You had things that were oxygen-boosting drugs, for lack of a better word, that were incredibly beneficial for endurance sports. And that's all you needed."

He added, "My cocktail was only EPO ... not a lot ... transfusions and testosterone."

Lance -- who referred to his former self as "an arrogant pr*ck" -- isn't shocked by the outrage over his lies and deceit ... saying, "I deserve it."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jen

Also it's not about how many other cyclists did it. I'm sure they all do it, and of course Lance is an easy target at the top. But when you lie to people's faces to the very last second, people tend to not appreciate it. That's how people are - cyclist or non-cyclist. He does not deserve threats but he should be ashamed.

Chilltopia

He's admitting to it now because this is when his lawyers said he couldn't get in trouble for telling the truth

Kirabu

I really don't think it is our place to forgive. I give it over to the great HARVEY, it is you whom we look to for your knowledge. Whaddya think Harv?

Kenneth34

U lying piece of crap I hope ur cancer come back and u die a slow painful death

tellmeaboutit

He is an arrogant pr*ck and always has been. Now we know he's a liar and a bully too - something I've never doubted.

Peter Sc

Living in a world where the most widespread cause of death is overmedicating, I see nothing wrong with his actions.

Are our kids not introduced to doping in high school by the coaches hired by a school board of us parents? Of course because we want success for our kids!

Here in 2013 life must not be hard, pain is not allowed. If it suddenly is, there is medication against almost every reason.

Lance Armstrong is a product of our time. He won the Tour 7 times on equal terms if you look at top 10 of the riders who participated those years. Almost everyone has later been caught cheating.

Can the sport change? Yes if the outside world change. If we allow life to be hard. If we accept pain as part of our daily life.

Only then can the sport change.

As for Lance Armstrong. He belongs to the past like Eddy Merckx who also was caught and the many other riders of their time. He has confessed and has been targeted when his period just should have been written off as an time of errors.

We don't need this. We do need to target the high school sport and the medication our children are given legally or not. Only then there is a hope for the future.

Pat

This guy only admitted to the bare minimum that he felt he had to. We all know he has some angle/reason for this, we'll have to wait a few weeks and then we'll start hearing something. I do hope that as a result of this admission he gets sued by everyone who has supported his organization. He is in the news for his admission of guilt, and all of the law suits that are coming in!

CHILL ON THE WEED HARVEY

Lance Armstrong has saved thousands of lives and will save hundreds of thousands more through his charities and other work. He cheated to win a competition 95% of americans couldnt care less about. He brought national attention to a sport 95% of americans couldnt care less about. I say hes an american hero either way...Livestrong Lance

ahh, f$ck it dude, lets go bowling

charles

To cheat means he is cheating other people. Yes, he cheat other people. This includes compulsive lying over a period of years. Addicted to lying. Got high from it. Slander. Hate reorded on tape. Intimidation. Wrongful death of many others' careers. This is corruption at its worst. Acceptance of this teaches that lying, for glam and glory, is RIGHT.

from poster "" ANNIE24

""It's not only the lying & cheating that's despicable, but also the fact that he threatened everyone & anyone who dared to expose him and he had the power to destroy their reputations and careers. Going on Oprah and crying a few tears as part of his humility tour to try & rebuild his brand won't work. He should be charged with obstructing justice, lying to the authorities who investigated the situation, return his Olympic medal that he got through doping, return the endorsement money that he got through deception & bullying then fade out of the public's view. He is not forgiven."" "" from poster Annie 24, and others.

ashley

The fact that he originally lied, pisses me off. The fact that he brought more awareness to Cancer is awesome! I say give him a hefty fine, don't let him compete ever again, and I hope no companies give him an endorsement deal bc I won't buy the product.

skeyehi

What makes me so bitter towards him is.he probably caused his own cancer by doping his blood. Sure I support cancer victims but not when its self induced.

BB not bb

I never liked this guy even before people knew he doped. He never seemed like anyone very admirable. Some athletes seem like athletes and like they worked for what they got. He just wanted to win. He probably gave himself cancer from all the drugs he took.

What is even the point of cheating? People work hard and train hard in good faith only to be outdone by someone who didn't play by the rules. It seems like whatever people do any more, they just say sorry, and it is like it never happened.

I think alot of cyclists are self centered and crazy. They are like joggers. They get in the way of cars and pedestrians and don't move or try to run them down as if they can't slow down no matter what. I am really sick of them.

They aren't like atheletes as much as robots.

freaksober

REALLY ??? I thought he just SHARDED his way to 7 victorys....

Gretel

So what's your point? This is not news.

serbian

Now at least the World saw again and again how it is easy to cheat in order to be NUMERO ONE in the World , i always said the SOBs did dope not just Lance but al team, thats a SHAME, goin over there to EU like their shi tt not stnks, mofos, and it is again Ameicans ,well lies havw short legs, and i hope truth comes also about some of Olympc US team, couse u cant just go there like u own the place and take home so many medals, cmon noone is stupid here