« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lance Armstrong

YES, I DOPED

1/18/2013 6:02 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

011713_lance_oprah_550x550
Lance Armstrong
just confessed ... EVERYTHING.

Lance admitted it all during his Oprah interview -- saying he took banned substances to enhance his cycling performances before all 7 of his Tour de France wins ... he blood doped ... he took testosterone ... EPO ... human growth hormone ... everything you can imagine.

Lance had denied the allegations for years -- and when Oprah asked why he came forward now, Lance replied, "I don't know that I have a great answer. I will start now by saying this is too late ... I view this situation as one big lie that I repeated a lot of times ... I am a flawed character."

He added, "I didn't invent the [doping] culture, but I did nothing to stop the culture ... and I am sorry for that."

Lance said he began using EPO (erythropoietin) -- a hormone that enhances red blood cell production -- in the mid 90s.

When asked if he was ever afraid he'd be caught -- Lance replied, "No."
When asked if it felt wrong at the time -- Lance replied, "No."
When asked if he felt like he was cheating -- he replied, "No ... I viewed it as a level playing field."

As for how the whole operation worked, Armstrong hedged on the details -- saying, "I viewed it as very simple. You had things that were oxygen-boosting drugs, for lack of a better word, that were incredibly beneficial for endurance sports. And that's all you needed."

He added, "My cocktail was only EPO ... not a lot ... transfusions and testosterone."

Lance -- who referred to his former self as "an arrogant pr*ck" -- isn't shocked by the outrage over his lies and deceit ... saying, "I deserve it."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

I'm Not A Lawyer

There is nothing righteous or noble about Lance's confession.

He lied, he cheated and he bullied.

Only when he was absolutely backed into a corner did he "come clean."

As the lawsuits pile up against him (and they will) he should, he should be "noble" enough not to seek relief under bankruptcy protection.

CyndiChainsaW

He admits he was a complete idiot. I understand the pressure was on the guy to win win win. Being so high up, and as competitive as he is (was?) I can see how he would have that inclination to cheat. Doesn't make it right. What does make it right is him realizing how many he hurt and being humbled that he he screwed up. Big time. In the end, it all falls back on him, something he'll carry for the rest of his life. Deservingly so, but I think he grew from the experience. Life is about growing and learning from our choices. I forgive him.

bb

The doping by itself I could have forgiven - the doping culture is so deeply ingrained in this sport that he'd have actually been at an unfair DISADVANTAGE had he not doped, especially after being ill. It is the web of corruption he created for himself in trying to cover it up that is unforgivable. Such a shame - this man's legacy should have been his triumph over cancer and his inspiration for people who have sufferered through this disease - instead it will be backstabbing, intimidation and lies, lies, lies.

really! really?

If he truly didn't believe he was doing something "wrong", he wouldn't have lied...period.

LISA

Well, TMZ has been shoving this story in our faces for days, so let's all comments and be done with it ...

There's not too much to say about this. He's a cheater. I aways thought he was a cheater, so I was not shocked to hear he finally confessed.

He strikes me as one of those people who doesn't give a S.H.I.T. what anyone thinks of him. He was probably laughing his azz off inside for years, while collecting all that money he doesn't really deserve. I hope he takes his blood money and moves to Tahiti ... or anywhere far, far away ... as long as he stays out of the spotlight. Bye Bye Liar Liar Pants on Fire!

Dan

He's not sorry. He's only sorry that he has been caught and lost everything. He is a narrcacist, a liar, a cheater, and a s***bag. They don't just "change". He need to dissapear into obscurity and spend the rest of his life dwelling on what he had and what might have been.

Cheryl A.

He lied like a rug in order for fake-win millions of dollars. That is not a 'character flaw' That is just a THIEF! I bet now it is too late to prosecute him so he is finally admitting what the ENTIRE world already knew. LIAR, THIEF, SH!TTY CHARACTER!! Anyone want their kids to grow up with these "values"?

Jussme

I think I'm missing something - Lance says the whole operation was 'easy'. He details what he took and what he did. So what was so hard about catching it and proving it ealier? I mean years and years and years of this - and no one forced his hand? Comes back to the bullying and pressure that others are speaking of. Bottom line, he deserves to be stripped of all medals/titles and needs to just go away. No more making money off this scandal.

JFO

Honestly, I can't stand Oprah. This is where she is at her worst when she's lecturing others about their behavior. I don't care that Lance Armstrong doped. Apparently they couldn't even award his first place finishes to the guys who finished second because there was a strong belief that they were doping as well. Sounds like an issue with the sport itself. Either way, I give him kudos for coming back from cancer. As for the rest of it I could care less. But PLEASE CAN WE JUST STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!!!!! It's over; move on.

Amouia

like who cares it is american culture to dope.

janet

This is no surprise. He lost everything. When you try for years covering up a lie that only gets bigger comes back to bite you. It did big time.

Dab710

Yeah, totally breaking news.

Amber

I didn't feel the need to read every comment so this may have been said already... HOWEVER!!

The man is human. As a Professional Cyclist he should never his Accomplishment should always bare the scars of astrics and used as an example....Not only this being his punishment, he has lost the benefits that came along with his accomplishments while "cheating", he has been publicly judged and forever will be as an dishonest professional and role model. The man is still human and the punishment must fit the crime (so far it does), but to never forgive and always be viewed negatively wouldnt be how we operate as a society (he is not a murderer nor deserves jail time) he has made his mistakes, now lets watch how he continues on through life and the person he becomes before we go off starting a witch hunt.

Evelyn

Who Gives a **** that he doped, I don't never really liked him growing up. Even now, you know when you have this certain feeling about anyone? Even though you never really meat that person or just meat them. Heres how i feel about Lance. *Slaps in face*. He should of confessed a long time ago though.

Ferris

Epogen isn't a hormone you idiots. Do your research