« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Manti Te'o

Notre Dame's Story

Sinks Manti

1/17/2013 3:27 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0117_mate_tao_getty
Manti Te'o continued to tell people his girlfriend died of cancer even after he learned it was all a big hoax ... and this is according to Notre Dame's public version of the facts.

During a news conference Wednesday night, ND Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick said ... Manti told ND officials that he first learned the whole thing was a hoax when he received a call from his GF's phone number during an ESPN award show in December ... months after she was presumed dead.

The ESPN college football awards ceremony took place in Orlando on Dec. 6 -- but just two days later, on Dec. 8, Te'o gave a statement to reporters in anticipation of the Heisman Trophy ceremony, in which he continued to perpetuate the belief that his girlfriend had died from cancer.

Te'o told reporters ... “I don’t like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer,” this according to WSBT-TV.

We now know Manti's statement wasn't true -- and by Notre Dame's own account, Manti lied.

It begs the question -- what else did he lie about?

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

kalanit

OMG! Why in the hell is TMZ losing their min over this lame ass story?! Nobody gives a fvck!

campy

This guy is so irrelevant...next.

sami

He seems like a typical sociopath. Sociopaths love to make woe is me stories, to garner pity from people. For some reason, they really like sympathy and pity for people. He's not crazy, and he wasn't duped. He's just a manipulative sociopath. Come on, he told the parents of a girl stricken with his cancer, this same sob story. A true sociopath. You can look at the interview of him on youtube, where he's mentioning this supposed death of the girlfriend, and he has a smile on his face the whole time. That's typical sociopath behavior. He was actually getting off on telling people this lie.

Audie

He's ruined!!

Dave

Phantom girlfriend explains why he seemed to be tackling only phantom running backs and not real ones during BCS game.

chazatlas

The media's obsession with this story is as stupid and lame as the story itself.

Killmonokill

I don't get this at all

Itoldu

Just like Penn State,it's. ALLWAYS about the f-in FOOTBALL.

Or the $$$$$$$ it brings.

Jason

Who cares?

The New Improved Sock Puppet

I don't know the beginning but that too is suspect. I am one who thinks it was fodder for the Heisman bid and he tran with it. I just find it hard to believe there was never a Skype an obit or a service and he never questioned it.

Your S&M Girlfriend

I have no idea what the truth is about this but if I was an NFL exec I'd say hell no to contracting him because if he was that gullible he could be bought and try to throw games

Lei_LaLa

Im still a fan and ur still fine...

fleeaway

This story is fascinating on so many levels... 1) He claimed to have met this girl in person. 2) He certainly was aware of the "hoax" before the Heisman ceremony, yet he brought her up during interviews. 3) He didn't bother to visit the "love of his life" in the hospital or visit her grave. 4) ND cried that Johnny Football had character issues, therefore didn't deserve the Heisman. And that's just 4...

Flyod