'Django' Slave Toys

DISCONTINUED

1/18/2013 8:25 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0118_django_toys_01
The controversial “Django Unchained” action figures have officially been DISCONTINUED ... after several African American groups called for a boycott of the dolls ... TMZ has learned.

Sources connected to the toy production tell us ... shortly after advocacy groups like Al Sharpton’s National Action Network and Project Islamic Hope spoke out against the figurines ... the Weinstein Company (which produced the film) reached out to the toy company and told them to put the kibosh on the toy line ASAP.

We're told the toy company agreed, insisting they never intended to offend anyone ... and halted production immediately.

Sources tell us ... the toymakers only released somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 dolls before shutting down production.

We reached out to the Weinstein Company for comment, so far no word back. But earlier this week we got Christoph Waltz out in Hollywood and it sounds like the 'Django' cast has already learned the fate of the action figures.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

LetsBeReAL

What? Who signed off on these toys?

There's a problem here

They seriously were selling these??

Toallthehatersoftheworld

Who the hell would of brought these?

kisstheringfool

Who was really gonna buy these.

YouDontSay

It be like holocoust dolls you dumb azz Weinstein Company. Think McFly. Think.

NobodySpecial

Why would anyone buy these ? Did they market them for kids ? Can you imagine some little white girls and boys saying "Hey n!ggah, I own you, get back to work" while playing with their dolls ? This is the stupidest idea ever.

Laura

The production company and the toy company needed someone to tell them this was wrong?

CJ

I saw Django Unchained last night and I don't see what the big deal is, it's HISTORY people, get over it and let's learn from the mistakes of the past!!!

FlamingoNut

LOL; on Amazon for $40, get them while they're hot. Ugly as hell though.

Dino

I thought the movie was good but why to have a doll like that ... non sense !

Sasha

Yet people claim we have come so far. These stupid dolls set us back 200 years...it's not ok to objectify human beings even as doll especially of that era..

Kayla

I'm pretty sure these are collectible items and aren't meant for children. It's not a children's movie.....Think about it.....I think this whole non-existant controversy is just giving the film more attention. I want to see it now, to see what all the fuss is about, haha.

Smoothie33

They're just collectors items. I don't know what the big deal is. It's too bad that they're not going to be available.

MARK

all the racists are gobbling them up on ebay...go figure...no pun intended

bubbiesright

The figurines may be collectable..you'll be able to buy sell and trade them...ohh wait..it just hit me...only thing is slaves go down in value..and to sell them I'll have to bring them to my next live stock auction. .

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments