« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Manti Te'o

Yeah I Lied

... But I Had To

1/18/2013 1:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0118-mante-teo-getty-irish
Manti Te'o is telling friends ... he knew the truth about Lennay Kekua in early December ... but continued the lie for 20 days for the sake of his team.

Sources connected to Te'o say ... it's true what ND Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick said Wednesday night, that Manti realized he had been hoaxed on Dec. 6, when he got a phone call from "Lennay" ... months after he thought she was dead.

But sources tell us ... Manti didn't tell his coaches about the hoax until Dec. 26 ... because he thought it would be a huge distraction while the team prepared to face Alabama in the BCS Championship.

During the 20 days, we're told Manti struggled over how to handle the situation ... but eventually felt compelled to come clean to his coaches.

Manti is currently training for the NFL combine -- and we're told he's getting a lot of support from the guys he's been training with.

0118_TEOING_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

EasilyHard

Closet

connor oborn

i get this story. he is young, shy, a bit naive and a Mormon boy. he lied, he now tells why he lied
so what is the problem now? he can't be forgiven?
he who is without sin may cast the first stone.

cabinfev22

Who the **** cares.

dew

Sadly, not to this degree- but this happened to me- I was horrified and totally humiliated. I was duped in the process of divorce- in the early days of chat rooms via aol. It was a "church" chat & I didn't feel it ok to date until my divorce was final- but didn't see the harm in "chatting" to another single person. What started as what I thought was a new friend- who sent me photos, met me online at cetain times- became emotionally involved- like an idiot. When I thought since I signed my papers- that my divorce was final- I was ok to actually talk on the phone- and even made arraignments for friends of mine to meet this guy before I ever did- while they were on a trip. Turned out to be my soon to be ex- sister iin law- playing games to get me to think I had someone waiting for me, so I'd settle w/ her brother quickly. Online- people can pretend to be anything they want- background checks are cheap now- such a sad thing- I feel bad for him- I know what it felt like to me!

Pittslady

Like I mentioned a while ago....
at least he is not intimate with his red car[remember the nutcase who BOINKS and kisses his car?]
He just is a Fibbo U know? a person who fibs.

Jo

Ah here does anybody actually blame him for continuing to lie after he found out the truth. If that were me I'd have taken it to the grave.

DaveT

I'm convinced God is mad at me for some reason and just running this totally-not-interesting story all over the TV and internet just to piss me off

JoA

What a disappointment Notre Dame, this bozo and his girlfriend story. Wonder if he's hiding his gayness.

Snyderwife

I don't quite get why this kids story is so important. So he got duped on the net. BFD. He didn't come clean after finding out so that attention was taken off his team and put all on him...I don't think we should tar and feather the kid. It sounds to me like he had good intentions. And ok...the love of his life died and barely two months later he's dating a new girl. He's a kid! It's gonna happen. Give this kid a break. Let him play football. It's not like we are asking him to be the president!

MediaWatchOz

Hmmm surprised no one has questioned his sexually yet because says he's a virgin.

Some....hide behind their religion and a no show partner to hide their sexuality. The "motivation' being not bringing shame on one's family name or it's culturally taboo.

ANONYMOUS

But him and his dad said they met her during the summer.. lies lies lies.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5