Robert F. Chew

'Wire' Star Found Dead

in His Apartment

1/18/2013 1:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0118_robert_f_chew_hbo_articleRobert F. Chew -- best known for playing Proposition Joe on "The Wire" -- was found dead yesterday in his apartment in Baltimore ... TMZ has learned.

According to the coroner in Baltimore, Chew died of cardiovascular disease. "Morbid obesity" was listed as a contributing factor.

Chew had very little acting experience before "The Wire" or after. He was on the cult HBO show -- which took place in Baltimore -- for five seasons.

Jamie Hector, who played Marlo on the show, tweeted this afternoon, "I didn't want to believe this #RIP Robert F Chew, Prop Joe will always be remembered Robert Chew will always be loved and missed!"

Anne

I worked on that show and he was not only a gifted man, but a gift to his community. And, to the moron intern who wrote the article, it was not a "cult" show. It's revered as one of the best shows on TV. People who have their own TV shows, upon hearing I worked on it have said and I quote, "That's the best show on television." "Cult" when describing the show, has never crossed their lips.

Clo

It was Omar. Rip Fat Man. Great Prop Joe

taffy84

Dam r.I.p. he played a good part in one of the best TV shows of all time.

jarrollin

Loved this show, thought it was the best things ever made for TV. I loved this character, one of many amazing characters. Honestly, I rarely give a rat's behind when one of these Hollywood types dies. This one got me choked up for a moment. Long live Prop Joe!

Al Giordella

This dude was as cool as an Alaskan cu***ber after a fall frost. I loved his character and hated it when Marlo whacked him out. We should've seen more of him!

Al Giordella

Great actor. Cooler than an Alaskan cu***ber after a late fall frost. Hated to see Marlo whack him out, and hated it even more when the show ended. This show was extremely well written and gave powerful performances by a little known cast.

eastcoastelliot

to many fn chicken wings ! what you expect

Yaki

what would you do for a Klondike bar??

I'm Awesome admit it

The Wire is still the greatest show to ever be produced just my opinion

Ms Chew

Not only was Robert Chew a great actor he was my uncle and a Wonderful PERSON...so think before you comment, no there was no chicken in his mouth when he died,he took great pride in his work and those he taught, yes taught...so please RESPECT HIM

oual10

"Morbid obesity"- that's incredibly disrespectful to put in the article, even if he was obviously over-weight.. S***my website.

CAT187

Dam...Best show. ...hand down ...may he RIP :(

Star Whacker

Way too much chew! Oh, the irony!!!

Yakima

My, I am sorry but I cannot help but to notice how loosely and poorly this article was constructed. This man was well known where important, and recognized as a great artist by many. Not just an actor, but a dancer and singer as well. And, in truth, he has more credits, notable and unknown to common media, than just the wire alone, which simple research can provide. He made the personal and artistic choice to spend his time and creativity on his youth theatre group in Baltimore, MD. True artists living for the art understand and appreciate a man such as him. And I have seen, first hand, the result of his teaching. Very powerful, and will certainly live on to produce many more notable artists. That is living there. To be able to still reach and touch people with such power, even after leaving this earth. May we all learn to respect those with such love and power and edify ourselves to be more mentally and morally progressive. RIP Mr. Chew. Forever loved and appreciated.

manbearpig

he couldn't chew his way out of this one.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments