Snoop Lion

Rejected

by Bunny Wailer & Rastas

1/23/2013 10:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0123_buddy_wailer_snoop_dogg_snoop_lion_article_getty_2
Snoop Lion, nee Snoop Dogg, has done the seemingly impossible -- pissed off a bunch of ganja smoking Rastafarians -- who claim he lied about becoming a Rasta just to make a movie and sell records ... and now they're threatening to sue.

Bunny Wailer -- an original member of Bob Marley and the Wailers -- tells TMZ he's heated about the docu-film "Reincarnated" ... which documented Snoop's immersion in the Rasta culture as he recorded his first reggae album in Jamaica last year.

Wailer claims Snoop has engaged in "outright fraudulent use of Rastafari Community's personalities and symbolism" -- and has failed to meet "contractual, moral and verbal commitments."

And it's not just Bunny who feels burned -- leaders of something called the Ethio-Africa Diaspora Union Millennium Council (aka Rastafari Millennium Council) -- fired off a 7-page demand letter to Snoop.

In the docs they claim to have made it clear to Snoop that "smoking weed and loving Bob Marley and reggae music is not what defines the Rastafari Indigenous Culture!"

Snoop Lion

• True Rasta
  • Fakin' Da Funk
Bottom line ... they want Snoop to stop using the name "Lion" ... pay up the "financial and moral support" they claim he committed, and issue a public apology.

If Snoop refuses -- FIRE WILL BUN FI HIM!! Or in layman's terms ... they're gonna sue his ass. We called Snoop for comment, and so far no word back.

And now, something to help everyone chill ...

Rico Suavy

Poop Dog, lied to Wacka Flacka, who in turn lied to Homely Homey, who lied to Poopa Scoopa, about becoming a Rasta, fasta then you can say go figure n----r

Kelly

It's "née" - NOT "nee" - and it means born. The correct reference would have been, "Snoop Lion, née Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr., formerly known as Snoop Dogg..."

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

I would say Bunny not to worry about it, I don't think anybody is taking that "Snoop Lion" business seriously.

I love Bob, I like Reggae, I don't smoke weed, I think Bob would be okay with that.

Phil

This will great in court!

CharlieDon'tSurf1

The Old Grey Whistle test, a UK produced music performance show from the early 80's I believe, got it's name from an interesting source. If the older men (old grey haired), that were the cleanup crew after the shows were taped could be heard whistling any one of the songs performed, that particular show was considered a success. Hense, Old Grey Whistle Test. Great show which utilized the tiniest studio at the time. I recall band with maybe 10 musicians cramped in that little studio. Unlike Top OF The Pops or those other bull ****e shows that used lipsync, Whistle Test was always live.

Quinn

extortion.

Please explain what obligations snoop made, and how you became the authority to hand out Rasta cards and take them away? What exactly does Snoop have to do to get it back? This is silly.

Toallthehatersoftheworld

They are not playing around

She's baaaack

He would be accepted by the Pastafarians but I guess he's too good for them.

kitnplayn

Rastafarians have no universally acknowledged leaders, no universally agreed-upon defining principles. It is a black consciousness movement, so I would tell Bunny Wailer to go pizz up a rope, since he is not the boss of all things Rastafarian, and he is not the boss of all things relating to the black consciousness movement.

LISA

What the? Bunny Wailer talked to TMZ? Times HAVE changed ... years ago I actually flew to Jamaica just to see him live - he was afraid of planes. He is incredible - as an artist and a person.

I a man say, Snoop Lion is no Rastafari! If Snoop can live in the hills of Kingston Jamaica with some real Rastas for 6 months - immerse himself in the culture, live off the land, AND they accept him - THEN I will believe him. If he manages to make it that far, he will then have to try to maintain the lifestyle in a modern city, which is very hard to do. Bunny knows what's up on all things Rasta and beyond!

KanyeWest

Snoop should just retire

PureRadiance

Well, snoop was high and feeling mellow at the time!

hewgheffner

Rasta is state of mini. Not a gang. get yo life

Taunya

I love Snoop but I believe that he is fakin' the funk.

chris

love snoop though, lord a mercy

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments