Tina Turner

Goodbye America

I'm Gonna Be a Swiss Citizen

1/25/2013 10:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0124-tina-turner-swizerland-gettyWilliam Tell may no longer be the most famous Swiss person in history ... 'cause Tina Turner says she's renouncing her U.S. citizenship to become a full-fledged citizen of Switzerland.

Turner -- who was born in Nutbush, Tennessee -- has been living in Zurich since the mid-90s ... and according to multiple reports, she's decided to make Switzerland her permanent home.

According to a local Swiss newspaper, officials in Switzerland have already decided to GRANT Turner's request for citizenship ... and now it's only a matter of time before the move becomes official.

We called Turner's rep for comment -- who told us she was still trying to get in touch with Tina to clarify the situation.

Also ... yeah, William Tell was Swiss. The more you know ...

Todd

Man does she know something we dont ?

moribundman

I like Emmentaler cheese so much, I may also move to Switzerland.

saf

U go girl. With a 10 % tax rate in many Swiss districts why would anyone want to come back and get raped by our government. No Tina it is NOT un patriotic to leave the USA. It is un patriotic for what our government has done to the bread winners of this country!

Regina

She looks AMAZING. love her!!!!
However this is VERY OLD NEWS. Why are you reporting something from the 90's?? She left the US YEARS ago. Must be a slow news day, or none of the Kartrashians have taken a dump so there was nothing to report.

Dylan

tmz douchebags ever hear of roger federer?
he is the most famous person from switzerland.

KellyinCA

I don't blame her for "putting a ring on it." I suppose it's really just a formality now. She has no real responsibilities now; her sons are middle-aged and presumably doing well; she may still have assets in the States and can come back to visit; she's made her fortune and can live in Europe with more freedom and comfort. Get past the taxes issue or Obama or whatever: I think this is simply a story about a woman whose work and the rewards from that work have finally allowed her to put her past behind her and to do her own thing without the baggage of how America has defined the prospects of many African-American women.

buzz kill

Switzerland has always famous for chocolate.

richdisputer

Where's Ike staying at?

LISA

Tina is an incredible woman. Full of talent - beautiful and strong. I wish her well wherever she is.

lcmb

If I were an evil rich person, I would renounce my citizenship as well to avoid be taxed to death by greedy liberals.

Laurie

How can the wealthiest one percent pay their fair share of taxes to keep our country running when they renounce citizenship and avoid taxation?

Nicoleasm

I don't understand why the biggest supporters of not taxing the wealthier more are people who probably are teetering in the middle class. I'm just a college student who doesn't make a lot of money, I can't afford to pay the same tax rate as someone making 500k to1M a year. And cutting government programs is not the one and ONLY solution to the deficit problem. It's not all about very rich vs poor/welfare. I think there's a lot more hardworking people trying to keep up, like my parents, who own their own business but don't make 200k a year, which i think was Obamas cut off point. What about people like us?

duck80

She's a fan of Antonio Cesaro

Az Heat

I really don't care about this story but that show ”Lizard lick towing” has to be the dumbest shows that are fake on tv!!! Sorry just had to vent!

EasilyHard