'Idol' Finalists

The Show Is NOT RACIST

1/27/2013 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0125-melinda-doolittle-vonzell-solomon-casey-abrams-taylor-hicks-getty
Four "American Idol" finalists from different seasons -- two of whom are black -- insist the singing competition is many things ... but racist is NOT one of them.

TMZ broke the story ... nine black ex-contestants are planning to sue "Idol" producers, claiming the contestants were publicly disqualified based on their dubious criminal backgrounds ... solely because they're African-American.

But Season 6 finalist Melinda Doolittle adamantly disagrees, telling TMZ, "It is shocking to see such allegations. In my experience on the show, the 'Idol' team strives to champion everyone, regardless of race. However, each contestant is explicitly told that the withholding of information that may compromise the show or artist, can and will result in immediate disqualification."

Season 4 finalist Vonzell Solomon adds, "I didn’t experience any of that [racial discrimination] ... all of our contracts were clear about how the background checks worked and that we could be disqualified if we lied about our past."

Two other former contestants -- Season 5 winner Taylor Hicks and Season 10 finalist Casey Abrams -- also agree.

Casey says, "I don't know why they are biting the hand that fed them. Those guys beat thousands of people who wanted to be on TV. Idol is picky, but I'm not sure about racist."

Taylor -- whose Vegas show is still going strong -- adds, "American Idol is for everyone.  All walks of life go through the show.  Not once did I see the show discriminate towards anyone.  It’s all about the votes."

FYI -- "Idol" has had three black winners in its history ... Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino and Jordin Sparks.

Fox and "Idol" producers have yet to respond to the allegations.

Chuck

What a pain to need to deal with the absurd charge of that overused term "Racist". Good for AI for keeping quiet.... silence is golden. Hopefully, the folks lookng for a payday will simply be dismissed by an intellegent judge.

LISA

“Fox and "Idol" producers have yet to respond to the allegations.”
________________________________________________

Um, weekend staff? Maybe you should re-read your original article, because the Executive Producer DID comment (Nigel L) and you said FOX declined to comment:

We spoke to "Idol" honcho Nigel Lythgoe ... who tells us he was "shocked" by the "ridiculous" allegations.

He explained, "We treat everybody the same ... no matter the race, religion or sex."

"I think we've always had a fantastic share of talent from contestants both black and white ... I don't think I've ever seen racism at the show."

A rep for FOX declined to comment.”

Serious Jelly

Since... there is only THE HUMAN RACE. Which came from Africa. I wouldn't feel so bad if I were you... because that means you have the same DNA in your Blood as Blacks people have. Which you feel gives Black people an unfair right to complain about RACISM . The good news is YOU HAVE THE SAME BLACK HERITAGE AND A LIFE TIME SUPPLY OF FREE RACE-CARDS WITH BLACK FACES ON THEM OF FAMOUS BLACK PEOPLE LIKE : Jesus... The Supreme Buddha... Krishna... Mohammed... King Tut... Socrates... Montezuma and thousands and thousands of other famous black people that Scientist and DNA points to the fact that we Humans are ALL related to each other :

Now for you DUMMY'S that think none of this is true... I know there are a lot of you out there... I have a little take home version for you :

L@@K-UP: Newsweek the search for Adam and Eve. Watch "The Human Family Tree." Also view The Journey of Man. Also "What DNA says about Human Ancestry" For you Racist Clowns who can read : "The Seven Daughters of Eve. (B. Sykes) !!

P.s

AMERICAN IDOL IS A VERY RACIST SHOW !!

kells

American Idol is not commenting because this lawsuit is baseless and isn't going to make to court. I don't get why tmz is even reporting on it, giving those losers the attention they're after. It's amazing the levels people will stoop to for some attention.

The Atlanta Church Of Satan

It's not racist. It's goofy as Hell.

Amy

Re: Nine black ex-contestants are planning to sue "Idol" producers, claiming the contestants were publicly disqualified based on their dubious criminal backgrounds ... solely because they're African-American. Sooo based on their criminal backgrounds OR because they're black? Or are they saying that there were white people with criminal backgrounds that were not disqualified? Sounds like a bunch of sore LOSERS to me!! When in doubt cry racism...

campy

The show is definitely racist. Someone please cancel it already.

Phishie from Philly

Those 9 Ex American Idol contestants are making black people look bad. You can't use the race card when you simple didnt follow the rules. This makes me sick that our justic system will entertain this BS. But I guess as the saying goes even the guilty people have rights. To all the 9 that are suing all I can say is "you should be ashamed of yourself for such a ridiculous accusations. This just shows that you are hoodlum punks just looking for a quick buck. O, ya FU to the lawyer that took this case. Is the lawyer black or white?
Phishie from Philly

freaksober

im tired of this SHARTING

Truth

WUTS REALLY SURPRISING IS NICKI MINAJ IS A BETTA JUDGE THAN FAT-RIAH CAREY AND KEITH URBAN IS THE MOST BORING LAME ASS JUDGE ON THE PLANET. WONDER IF THAT'S RACISM?? *SHOCKER* #TRUTH!!

mary

There they go again....whenever they don't get their own way they pull the race card. Kinda like the boy who cried wolf. After a while everyone stops listening to their nonsense and then when it's valid it falls on deaf ears. All I hear now is blah, blah, blah!

Ryan

If there was no racism, how could whites be blamed for blacks failures and shortcomings?

BW

I looked up these nine individuals. All of these contestants either failed to disclose past arrests, got into trouble while they were a contestant, or were not within the guidelines of the show in some manner and were aware of it. Look it up. None of it had to so with racism and would apply to any contestant, of either gender, or of any race.

Georgiagirl

The truth is the only thing I have against black people is that every time you tell one no, disagree with one, or don't give them their way they scream racism. Other than that I could are less what your color is. I don't care how you live your life or what you do. I can work with you, eat with you, be friends with you, relate to you, help you if you need it. But don't call me racist. I don't discriminate I tell everybody no sometimes, I disagree with everybody, and I don't give hardly anyone their way.

lilysmama