'Idol' Finalists

The Show Is NOT RACIST

1/27/2013 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0125-melinda-doolittle-vonzell-solomon-casey-abrams-taylor-hicks-getty
Four "American Idol" finalists from different seasons -- two of whom are black -- insist the singing competition is many things ... but racist is NOT one of them.

TMZ broke the story ... nine black ex-contestants are planning to sue "Idol" producers, claiming the contestants were publicly disqualified based on their dubious criminal backgrounds ... solely because they're African-American.

But Season 6 finalist Melinda Doolittle adamantly disagrees, telling TMZ, "It is shocking to see such allegations. In my experience on the show, the 'Idol' team strives to champion everyone, regardless of race. However, each contestant is explicitly told that the withholding of information that may compromise the show or artist, can and will result in immediate disqualification."

Season 4 finalist Vonzell Solomon adds, "I didn’t experience any of that [racial discrimination] ... all of our contracts were clear about how the background checks worked and that we could be disqualified if we lied about our past."

Two other former contestants -- Season 5 winner Taylor Hicks and Season 10 finalist Casey Abrams -- also agree.

Casey says, "I don't know why they are biting the hand that fed them. Those guys beat thousands of people who wanted to be on TV. Idol is picky, but I'm not sure about racist."

Taylor -- whose Vegas show is still going strong -- adds, "American Idol is for everyone.  All walks of life go through the show.  Not once did I see the show discriminate towards anyone.  It’s all about the votes."

FYI -- "Idol" has had three black winners in its history ... Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino and Jordin Sparks.

Fox and "Idol" producers have yet to respond to the allegations.

Kim

I think they r missing the point. The point this lawsuit is trying to make is that the hiring/selection process violates the State law. On top of that, why is it that they also embarass the minority people when it comes to crime. Then set them up on camera and play it to the world. My sister was on a reality show and all the cut and pasting can make the best look bad. Wake up America.

jimi

we sucked , and we lost. thank goodness we can blame that on being black

whocares

Didn't one of those guys already sue them before. Haters are going to hate

Ijustneedtobeloved

Yeah the shows racist. That's why THREE out of FOUR of the judges are black. People are idiots these days.

Tmzsucks

This is why we walk on egg shells as a society, these animals always crying racism when they don't get their way. Pathetic

felon

They lied which is what got them fired, but let's examine y they lied. An employer can say they are an equal OPPORUNITY employer but still has the right 2deny employment 2 anyone w/a criminal background. Does anyone see anything wrong w/this picture? How can that be EQUAL OPPORTUNITY if a portion of society is being systematically denied the right to earn a living even after repaying their so-called debt 2society? True, a sex offender shudnt b working w/children and there obviously needs to be some guidelines but 2 systematically deny a people an opportunity 2earn a living can't be right either. Because I was in possession of drugs @21 does that mean @31 I cannot sell a car? All people like these people wanted like everyone else was a chance...a chance 2show they can do the job, they can still be productive members of society. I think their lawsuit is bigger than what people are reading on the surface, its the institution of systematic racism. Everybody makes mistakes and we all want to be forgiven.

Julia

How can it be racist with 3 black judges?

Cecilia

Racist?? .. mostly the only people on this planet who are racist are BLACKS..and that's the truth. oh Boo Hoo and Waaa Waaa ... you people got found out and were disqualified..get over yourselves... Nobody's looking at skin color, just dubious criminal backgrounds..which says a whole lot more about the character of these folks than anything..and if all were black than what does that tell you about some black folks? If whites screamed "prejudice" over any little thing they thought blacks were saying or doing against them in this country maybe then blacks could get a chance to see how stupid, crazy and immature they sound. Just SHUT UP and SUCK IT UP the way we ALL have to do! And STOP using the cheap, lazy racist card to try to get your own way with things...ya'll are only working against yourselves... I'm begun to lose respect for these kinds of blacks.

IndyMike

Usually when you have a group of blacks crying racism you take it with a grain of salt. It's how there culture is. Lazy and look for the easy way out. Taught at young age crying racism can get you far in life since they won't take the initiative to do it that right way with hard work.

CriticXtreme

They are racist. They always fine the morons who will make them the most money.

CuttyCain

I Swear I Didn't Know White People In America Was So Damn Racist. I'm Reading Comments With People Saying They Welfare Must Of Ran Out! Really White People! Hey America Do You Know White America Has The Most People On Welfare By A Landslide, Not Even Close. White America You Make Me Laugh. Think You Know So Much But Don't KnOw

CuttyCain

One Last Thing And I'm Done With This, White People Say They Tired Of Blacks And The Race Card, Me Personally Don't Have To Pull The Race Card. White People Don't Walk In Our Shoes And Vice Versa. If Back In The Day Blacks Used Whites For Slavery, Sold Their Children, Sleeping With Their Wives And Couldn't Do Nothing About It. If That Was The Case I Wonder If Whites Would Pull The Race Card, Food For Thought. I Don't Like Racism Period But Its Very Much Alive And From Reading These Comments...Its Here To Stay

Georgiagirl

@CuttyCain... I have never taught my children they are better than anyone or that white is a supreme race. But do you know how many little black children have told my kids they was crackers? Do you know how many times I've heard your sob story? Still bringing up a time before most of us where even born? That's your crutch? Get a new one its wore out. I don't think Im better than you but don't think you or any other black person is going to make me feel bad I was born white and because you where born black. I'm not racist but I've been called it a million times by racist blacks because they can't grow up and deal with not getting their way so they stomp around hollering racism while sucking their thumbs like babies. No one is more racist than blacks that's the dayam truth. I don't consider blacks unequal to me you have families, jobs, responsibilities same as me and we all gotta get the same shyt done but when I hear someone call me racist because I am following rules I have to follow at my job regardless of race screw that. I can tell every race no white black Asian Indian Mexican whatever but guess who is the only one saying oh you is racist? Take a guess? Can't handle the truth? Sometimes it's tough.

LCS27

Who are these people and what's American Idol?

lvslezak

What about the "Black Miss America" contest (an actual, highly-publicized event)? All white women should sue!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments