'Idol' Finalists

The Show Is NOT RACIST

1/27/2013 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0125-melinda-doolittle-vonzell-solomon-casey-abrams-taylor-hicks-getty
Four "American Idol" finalists from different seasons -- two of whom are black -- insist the singing competition is many things ... but racist is NOT one of them.

TMZ broke the story ... nine black ex-contestants are planning to sue "Idol" producers, claiming the contestants were publicly disqualified based on their dubious criminal backgrounds ... solely because they're African-American.

But Season 6 finalist Melinda Doolittle adamantly disagrees, telling TMZ, "It is shocking to see such allegations. In my experience on the show, the 'Idol' team strives to champion everyone, regardless of race. However, each contestant is explicitly told that the withholding of information that may compromise the show or artist, can and will result in immediate disqualification."

Season 4 finalist Vonzell Solomon adds, "I didn’t experience any of that [racial discrimination] ... all of our contracts were clear about how the background checks worked and that we could be disqualified if we lied about our past."

Two other former contestants -- Season 5 winner Taylor Hicks and Season 10 finalist Casey Abrams -- also agree.

Casey says, "I don't know why they are biting the hand that fed them. Those guys beat thousands of people who wanted to be on TV. Idol is picky, but I'm not sure about racist."

Taylor -- whose Vegas show is still going strong -- adds, "American Idol is for everyone.  All walks of life go through the show.  Not once did I see the show discriminate towards anyone.  It’s all about the votes."

FYI -- "Idol" has had three black winners in its history ... Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino and Jordin Sparks.

Fox and "Idol" producers have yet to respond to the allegations.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

LilLatinacb

From someone who is neither black nor white, I have met more black people that are racist than white. It has been my experience that most black people that are racist are so because (1) they are ignorant and (2) they believe most white people are racist. It has also been my experience that most white people who are racist are so because (1) they are ignorant and (2) because they are living in antiquity and are idiots. All races should stop hating. We are all the same inside. If I could take my skin off then no one would know what color I am, where I was born, or who my ancestors could have been. Underneath the science of pigmentation we are all the same and until this is realized racism will continue to hold our society hostage.

pat

If you wanted to be on AI and you were up front at having a criminal record, would you still be able to be on the show?

KanyeWest

We need more news

lilitaly96

This is retarded

Nonsense

This is a non story. Just a bunch losers trying to regain their 15 minutes of fame.

Toilethead

Whoever did the makeup for the black girl should be fired.

sennisan

what is with all the racist comments..starting at the President...

Kim

Total set up for the so call crime perpetrators. American Idol does extensive background checks. Trust me, these background checks are complete so that they can keep a creepy child pervert from making it to the top 10 or even the auditions. Anyone who thinks these guys slipped through the cracks and werent set up for embarassment are dumb.

Lee York

People are sick of the race card

Lee York

I bet if this was the NBA, these folks would say you must have talent. Same goes for this. Folks you didnt have talent. By the way I am a white guy from America. I am a white america. What part of Africa are you from./ I ask only because it reads African American. So they were born in Africa and moved here. Right?

tdot

3 black winners out of 12 seasons ?! ...No asian or hispanic winners either hmmmm

lj

This crap has to stop or racism will really get bad.

pimpdaddy

Who is watching that garbage anyway? Idol sucks!

Bettsie

American Idol winners could really do with losing weight. The only thing people will remember about them is their HUGE.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6