Barbara Walters

I've Got

Chicken Pox!

1/28/2013 8:43 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0128_barbara_walters

Barbara Walters
has seen it all in her career, except for one thing -- CHICKEN POX ... until now.

The 83-year-old news legend announced ... she's officially suffering from a case of the scratchies ... roughly 75 years after most people catch the viral infection.

Walters -- who was already recovering from a head injury she suffered during Inauguration weekend -- was obviously absent from "The View" this morning ... so Whoopi broke the news.

"We want to give you an update on Barbara," Goldberg said ... "You all know that she fell and cut her head 10 days ago, and then was running a temperature, but it turns out it is all the result of a delayed childhood."

"Barbara has the chicken pox. She'd never had it as a child. So now she's been told to rest, she's not allowed any visitors. and we're telling you, Barbara, no scratching,

Whoopi added, "We love you. We miss you. We just don't want to hug you."

0121_BARBARA_WALTERS_well_footer

D-INCARNATION

She got it from Humps

lala1134

Isn't that a case of shingles?

Samantha

Get well soon Barbara!

D-INCARNATION

If she don't want shingles she should stay off the roof.

jojotato68

I dont agree with babs on some things...but...lol I hope she gets better soon...& dont scratch!?

Where's KOOKY?

I had chicken pox as a 6-year old, then developed shingles last fall. It was NOT from "being dirty," as someone suggested. The virus was dormant in my body for decades and then erupted into shingles on my left side, most likely due to my compromised immune system as a Stage IV cancer patient. Luckily, my case wasn't severe or even that painful, although I realize some people really suffer from it. :My oncology nurse has had shingles 3 times so you can get them more than once. She feels the stress from her job probably contributed. I wish Ms. Walters well as chicken pox this late in life can be very dangerous.

jaye

Wow! Now that she's had chicken pox, she'll be eligible for SHINGLES and that **** is not to be messed with. I'll never had chicken pox either. I'll spend the rest of my life avoiding kids lol. JK.
As to the claim that adult chicken pox is called shingles that's not true. Chicken pox is chicken pox. Once you've had it, the virus remains dormant in your system and you can develop shingles from it. But, shingles is a different thing and it's very painful. Most people describe it as feeling like your nerves are on fire. You can get rashes from it that looks like little bubbles and it's highly contagious. It can be a one time occurrence or it might suffer from it for the rest on your life on and off.

JP

Maybe Barbara caught it when she came over on the Mayflower and has just been a carrier all this time.

Betty

Barbara Walters shoul retire,he View would be much better without her as she's always cutting someone off

Betty

Barbara Walters should retire,the View would be much better without her

anne

She has shingles-no one (even walters) is hospitalizedf with chicken pox.

kr

I had chicken pox when I was 12. Didn't feel a thing and think I had all of 2 spots.

judy jetson

Barbara looks like the crypt keeper.

Bu

This is very dangerous...The Herpetic Viruses are very dangerous to older people. I hope she gets better soon.

whocares

Kids need to get this. Not adults.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments