« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Gays Are NOT Welcome

In Our Locker Room

1/30/2013 2:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0130_chris_culliver_49rs_gay_article_getty
update_bar
3:15 PM PT -- The 49ers organization is speaking out AGAINST Culliver ... saying the team "rejects" Chris' comments.

A rep for the 49ers says the team has already addressed the matter with Chris ... and adds, "There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level."

"We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community.”
0314_divider_graphic

Gay football players are NOT welcome in the San Francisco 49ers locker room ... at least according to one current 49ers player.

Chris Culliver -- who started 6 games as cornerback for the team this season -- made the homophobic comments to Artie Lange during a radio interview at a Super Bowl media event earlier this week.

When asked if gay players would be welcome on the team, Culliver said ... "I don't do the gay guys man. I don't do that."

Artie then asked if Chris knew of any gay players on his team ... to which Culliver answered, "No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do."

He continued, "Can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah … can't be … in the locker room man. Nah."

Culliver also said ... if a gay player were to make it in the NFL, he should not only keep his sexuality a secret from the other players  ... but stay quiet for 10 YEARS after that.

Culliver and the 49ers will take the field on Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens -- a team which features a very outspoken pro-gay rights advocate Brendon Ayanbadejo.

Culliver's feelings are NOT shared by his entire team ... earlier this week, several members of the 49ers spoke in SUPPORT of gay players ... including coach Jim Harbaugh.

“I ask all players to play through their own personality and be who they are. What you ask of a player is to be a great teammate and be a good player. My expectations would be the same,” Harbaugh said. “Personally, there’s no discrimination in my heart.”

Linebacker Larry Grant echoed Harbaugh ... saying, "At the end of the day, we are all family in this locker room, and we accept each player for whoever they are."

Ditto for cornerback Tarell Brown ... who said, "Whatever makes you happy, do it. I just feel like, you shouldn’t hide it. At the end of the day don’t be embarrassed with what you are, or what you do. If you are that way, that’s you.”

Earlier this year, several members of the team participated in a video for the "It Gets Better" campaign to provide support for the LGBT community. Culliver was not featured in the video.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

tereza

Does this clown realize he plays in San Francisco?? And that the 49ers have many hometown LGBT fans?? Pretty sure his lo-IQ homophobe behind'll be looking for a job next year this time.

justme

This NUT runnin yo mouth, you know come Sunday boy they gon shut you down Mr.Culliver ,you will be lucky to play 60sec on Sunday,then you represent a city that known world wide for their large butt naked gay community,but with that being said you are most definetly intitled to your opinon.

DaveT

Overblown, he's entitled to his beliefs.
Personally I don't care if someone's gay, nothing wrong with it, and I believe they're born that way, as I'm unable to "choose" to be gay because I'm not attracted to men's bodies, therefore it's not a choice, gay people are who they are, and good for them.
But having a fit every time someone disagrees with gay sexual orientation just gets ridiculous.
You could also find 49er players or any other team players or anyone anywhere else who doesn't agree with who I am on some level, or my lifestyle or habits etc...Should I try and force them all to agree with me?
Of course not, they're entitled to their beliefs and feelings, just as Chris is.

Danielle123

Why do people think that because a man is gay he must be instantly attracted to another man? I am a woman and I certainly am not attracted to every man I see. Why is it that certain groups who have endured discrimination in the past turn around and do the exact same thing to another group of people? It's wrong. No gays allowed? How about no blacks allowed? It's all the same and I'm truly waiting for people to realize it. Culliver was wrong and he should be ashamed of his words. I truly do feel sorry for any secretly gay men on the team as his disgusting words surely did not make them feel any more accepted.

DaveT

Oh yeah and....49ers are gonna win the Super Bown ooooh yeeeah!

c

Wow. What an ignorant and hateful ass. I hope he realizes that many years ago black people were not welcome in a locker room just because of the color of their skin. He’s no better than those racists. I hope they get crushed on Sunday. GO RAVENS!!

Majestik

Haven't read all the comments. Apologies if I step on someone's toes and repeat what they've said.
Rapists, TWICE ACCUSED are allowed in the NFL. DUI'ers not matter how many, or how many times is allowed. Wife/Fiancee/Girlfriend beaters are allowed. Men with multiple baby mama's and going to court to dodge their responsibility are allowed. Pulling a GUN on party goers in a bar to prove your masculinity is allowed.
Okay, gotchya, as long as you don't go home to a husband or boyfriend as a manly man you can do whatever the hell you want. Hey Chris, are you threatened by someone else's sexuality? Are you threatened that some guy, who choses a man over a woman plays more than you do, has racked up more points than you, is a better ballplayer than you?
It's one thing to speak your opinion and be against Homosexuality, it's another to speak HATE SPEECH. Good thing in this day and age that the WHITE RACE doesn't still consider Blacks inferior otherwish you would be out of a job, unless you count being paid below minimum wage as a Janitor cleaning up the white man's mess.

Columbo

1 out of 10 are gay. 5 gays in your locker room.

djguess1

Stupid Homophobe! You're an idiot and it shows!

Grace

Homophobic men who are openly afraid of and and enraged at Gays being in their proximity are closeted. That is a well-known fact backed up by decades of research. No man who is secure in his sexuality cares whether or not some gay man sees his privates in a locker room.

pciswhack

Homophobic? no. He was stating his opinion...everyone has the right to do such. Again, this is liberal media labeling that with which it doesn't agree. I'm thankful for his courage....good for him!

JusticeINC

This crap is why Te'o won't come out of the closet.

Marissa

Bigotry at its finest... Ugh. To the people going on about freedom of speech. Yeah he does have the freedom to state his opinion doesn't mean we can't dislike it and it certainly doesn't mean that wasn't a homophobic comment. Ignorance is alive and well.

Paulina1982

Hes got a right to disagree with. Homosexuality ..just like some has the right to be homosexual ..

djguess1

What an idot!!! Homophobic Ass! Last I checked, he doesn't call the shots for the whole team ~ get over yourself looser!