« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Gays Are NOT Welcome

In Our Locker Room

1/30/2013 2:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0130_chris_culliver_49rs_gay_article_getty
update_bar
3:15 PM PT -- The 49ers organization is speaking out AGAINST Culliver ... saying the team "rejects" Chris' comments.

A rep for the 49ers says the team has already addressed the matter with Chris ... and adds, "There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level."

"We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community.”
0314_divider_graphic

Gay football players are NOT welcome in the San Francisco 49ers locker room ... at least according to one current 49ers player.

Chris Culliver -- who started 6 games as cornerback for the team this season -- made the homophobic comments to Artie Lange during a radio interview at a Super Bowl media event earlier this week.

When asked if gay players would be welcome on the team, Culliver said ... "I don't do the gay guys man. I don't do that."

Artie then asked if Chris knew of any gay players on his team ... to which Culliver answered, "No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do."

He continued, "Can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah … can't be … in the locker room man. Nah."

Culliver also said ... if a gay player were to make it in the NFL, he should not only keep his sexuality a secret from the other players  ... but stay quiet for 10 YEARS after that.

Culliver and the 49ers will take the field on Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens -- a team which features a very outspoken pro-gay rights advocate Brendon Ayanbadejo.

Culliver's feelings are NOT shared by his entire team ... earlier this week, several members of the 49ers spoke in SUPPORT of gay players ... including coach Jim Harbaugh.

“I ask all players to play through their own personality and be who they are. What you ask of a player is to be a great teammate and be a good player. My expectations would be the same,” Harbaugh said. “Personally, there’s no discrimination in my heart.”

Linebacker Larry Grant echoed Harbaugh ... saying, "At the end of the day, we are all family in this locker room, and we accept each player for whoever they are."

Ditto for cornerback Tarell Brown ... who said, "Whatever makes you happy, do it. I just feel like, you shouldn’t hide it. At the end of the day don’t be embarrassed with what you are, or what you do. If you are that way, that’s you.”

Earlier this year, several members of the team participated in a video for the "It Gets Better" campaign to provide support for the LGBT community. Culliver was not featured in the video.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Yotadave

To narrow minded for todays society!

Mason

Another ignorant Black football player making Millions...what a world we have....sheesh!

Ashley

Um why would he make such an ignorant comment when he lives in San Fran? I think he should be fired on the spot for discrimination!

karel

First of all, learn to speak you ignorant fool, second, just go away. It's guys like you that are often on the down low...

GonzoBigD

I hope the 49ers fans run this homophobic boog right outta town.

BellaJ

Well if I wasn't rooting for the Ravens before you can bet I am now!

amyschaos

I am a huge Niners fan, but what a tool! hope his ass gets benched.

Kendra

Well considering he failed to master English, I am not surprised by his comments. Sad part is he actually went to college. Maybe he's been hit in the head one too many times. Coming from SF I can see him being attacked by the rainbow squad.

Columbo

There is nothing he can say in respect to damage control. But I promise you, this putz will try.

USA#1

GO 49er's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Realist

No one is allowed ot have an opinion contrary to the popular thing at the time. Welcome to liberal America, where if you mention that you don't think what they do, you're a racist, a bigot, or a moron.....and all this from the party that claims to be so "tolerant". Weird how that works, huh?

John

Send that low-life thug back to college to learn some english.

tgrfan42069

my new favorite player.

here2opine

What a moron! I hope his sponsors pull the plug out from under this ass. SMDH

Parker

Bigoted Prick!......glad the organization spoke up against this phkn homophobic bastard...........and is really as stupid as he sounds...."Nah...Man......" Dumb ignorant monkey!