« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Gays Are NOT Welcome

In Our Locker Room

1/30/2013 2:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0130_chris_culliver_49rs_gay_article_getty
update_bar
3:15 PM PT -- The 49ers organization is speaking out AGAINST Culliver ... saying the team "rejects" Chris' comments.

A rep for the 49ers says the team has already addressed the matter with Chris ... and adds, "There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level."

"We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community.”
0314_divider_graphic

Gay football players are NOT welcome in the San Francisco 49ers locker room ... at least according to one current 49ers player.

Chris Culliver -- who started 6 games as cornerback for the team this season -- made the homophobic comments to Artie Lange during a radio interview at a Super Bowl media event earlier this week.

When asked if gay players would be welcome on the team, Culliver said ... "I don't do the gay guys man. I don't do that."

Artie then asked if Chris knew of any gay players on his team ... to which Culliver answered, "No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do."

He continued, "Can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah … can't be … in the locker room man. Nah."

Culliver also said ... if a gay player were to make it in the NFL, he should not only keep his sexuality a secret from the other players  ... but stay quiet for 10 YEARS after that.

Culliver and the 49ers will take the field on Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens -- a team which features a very outspoken pro-gay rights advocate Brendon Ayanbadejo.

Culliver's feelings are NOT shared by his entire team ... earlier this week, several members of the 49ers spoke in SUPPORT of gay players ... including coach Jim Harbaugh.

“I ask all players to play through their own personality and be who they are. What you ask of a player is to be a great teammate and be a good player. My expectations would be the same,” Harbaugh said. “Personally, there’s no discrimination in my heart.”

Linebacker Larry Grant echoed Harbaugh ... saying, "At the end of the day, we are all family in this locker room, and we accept each player for whoever they are."

Ditto for cornerback Tarell Brown ... who said, "Whatever makes you happy, do it. I just feel like, you shouldn’t hide it. At the end of the day don’t be embarrassed with what you are, or what you do. If you are that way, that’s you.”

Earlier this year, several members of the team participated in a video for the "It Gets Better" campaign to provide support for the LGBT community. Culliver was not featured in the video.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

LISA

I think the radio station is also to blame for asking him those questions. The only one I could see even going there would be Howard Stern.

So, I googled Artie Lange and found out he is a Howard Stern Show prodigal son - big surprise (NOT)!

ohyesidid

"No, we don't got no gay people on the team"

Sheesh, I think I learned how NOT to speak like this in elementary, definitely in junior high, and I'd have been laughed out of class in high school. How did this...ahem...person, get into college, much less major in sport and entertainment management at South Carolina? He has a degree? 15 seconds of listening to this talk would lead me to believe he
never made it out of elementary. I certainly wouldn't trust him to manage anything about my life.

Parker

And he plays for the city that is the Gay Capital of the world.............homophobic ...... Azzwipe........What if some team said no stupid black men like him should be allowed in the lockeroom!

Peter Popoff

If you can't understand what he's saying then u are Gay! No strait guy want a gay dude in a lockeroom where u get naked and shower everyday! This is not a regular job where you may just be in the same office, these dudes gotta tackle each other nobody wants to be with the dude trying to cop a feel or peek! IJS I can understand that

hunter

He looks gay. He probably was friends with Kwame Harris, didn't know he was gay, and now feels betrayed. That's why he is so outspoken.

tgrfan42069

im sick of the heterophobes calling people names just because they dont agree with the vile lifestyle of gays..im straight and proud screw you heterophobes.

Bonnie

This is how he feels and instead of being politcally correct he said how he felt...whether you agree with him or not this is how he feels.....stop being haters!

Coupe09

Coming from a gay mans mouth probably. Get over it, most of your teammates are gay keeping quiet as you say they should.. Homo

tgrfan42069

being gay isnt natrual..gay supporter always play the animals showing tendancies so it means it is natural.well animals have sex with their mothers and siblings monkeys tend to throw poo and so on so are you saying it is normal for a human to do those things as well>? or are you just picking and choosing the gay thing because it fits your agenda?

Shaunie

You're an idiot if you think there isn't at least one gay player on every team in each sport. They just keep it to themselves

Thomas Jefferson

Too much talk and not enough football!

Dave

Hey moron, remember when blacks weren't welcomed anywhere? Get a clue.

Rob

I wouldn't want a *** around me when I am naked either... I wouldn't really want them around me ANY time, but mostly then.

william

I mean they do play in San Fransisco.....that's like half their ticket holders

Anya

What a jerk. Me thinks he doth protests too much.