Dustin Hoffman

TMZ Caused 'Luck' Cancellation

1/31/2013 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0131-dustin-hoffman-luck-tmzDustin Hoffman says the TMZ reports surrounding the deaths of 3 horses on the set of "Luck" last year are to blame for his show getting canceled ... claiming our facts were wrong.

Dustin just gave an interview to FoxNews.com, saying the "real" reason the show was canceled was due to a collaboration between PETA and TMZ ... and NOT because the public was upset that THREE horses died during production.

Hoffman said, "It’s completely distorted. Anyone who raises horses know they break their legs. The accusations they made were distorted."

He also directs people to the horse racing website Paulick Report for the "real reason the show was canceled."

Truth is, the TMZ stories are in sync with what was reported on the Paulick Report.

Here are the facts that we published on TMZ.com:

-- THREE horses died during the production of the show
(Confirmed by Paulick Report)

-- Horse #3 was euthanized on the set ... and production continued a few hours later
(Euthanasia confirmed by Paulick Report)

-- HBO acknowledged the deaths ... and released a statement saying “accidents unfortunately happen."

And the kicker ... the ratings for "Luck" weren't that great to begin with ... and there were MULTIPLE reports that HBO used the horse deaths as an excuse to cancel the show without having to admit failure.
(You can also read about that on the Paulick Report)

RachesRules

I'm indifferent to the whole situation. I agree that TMZ likes to blow up all the stories they 'break', but the facts are the facts. I was disappointed that the show was cancelled because I was just getting into it, but my real disappointment was with the production company for letting these horses die. If these deaths were so normal, the show would still be on.

DaveT

Reminds me I want to see that movie again where Dustin was a dad and had the philosophy of looking out for number one but saved those people in the plane crash, good flick

Cran

Well you guys do deserve that. Your gleeful approach to sometimes terrible situations for other people seems jaded and opportunistic very often.I have wondered if ever you stop and wonder how this info is going to destroy someone?No I didn't think so.You have the "take them down, take them all down" approach.

nof

I don't beieve Harvey Levin to be a mean-spirited individual -

As he's quietly become.

One of the most powerful men in Hollywood.

I also don't believe Harvey to be the nicest guy that's ever lived -

But on this planet and in this world - you just can't be -

I feel for Dustin Hoffman, and for this great series.

Matt

Luck had the potential to be one of the best shows on television. Up there with The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and the Wire. Too bad about the horses, but I don't think I have ever been as upset about a show getting cancelled.

rudynjudyjudy

Horses don`t need to be ridden or filmed and are far better off in thier herds free ranged

rudynjudyjudy

OR even ever have thier hoves nailed and shoed or thier manes flat topped yes some cowgils need to ryd to rope and chase bullys still in the 3rd world

Glory Bee

Ever notice that the most rabid animal "rights" advocates have no problem at all about sticking a knife up a woman's vag to kill her baby, but don't hurt the livestock. Sick. No, animals don't have "rights". They are property. Period. Sure love them, but they are just property.

anony

The show.....was......boring.

Sher

This story has now ruined any sort of movie with animals in them. I always (naively) thought that there were people on set to protect animals. Now that I have seen THIS I can't even watch westerns anymore! I am not a fan (any longer) of PETA, but somebody needs to be there to 'speak' for the animals that cannot complain about the mistreatment!

fargone

I don't know how Harvey can sleep at night with this guilt weighing on his broad shoulders.

Kaveman

TMZ you are simply a bunch of AHOLES

Nonsense

pinkhydrangea

Any time 3 horses die in production, something is seriously wrong. I happen to own horses, and they are intelligent, strong and versatile. They survive in extreme weather conditions especially in the wild. PETA has every right to shut production down. Furthermore, TMZ is right in making it public. Shame on you LUCK, looks like all your have run OUT.

antigirlygirl

Well, TMZ.. he's right. But Dustin, show ended months ago. What's wrong.. can't find work? Should of treated those horses better! LOL

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments