« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

X Games

Snowmobiler Dies

After Horrific Crash

1/31/2013 10:22 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0131_caleb_moore_facebook
A 25-year-old professional snowmobiler has died from injuries he sustained during a horrific crash during the Aspen X Games last week.

Caleb Moore passed away this morning in Colorado, a family spokesperson said.

Moore's family declined to release further details about the death, but stated on Sunday that he had suffered a "brain complication" stemming from the accident ... on top of a severe concussion and bleeding of the heart.

Moore was competing at the snowmobile freestyle final last Thursday when his 450-pound snowmobile flipped over and landed on top of him.

ESPN released a statement Tuesday, saying, "We've worked closely on safety issues with athletes, course designers and other experts for each of the 18 years of X Games. Still, when the world's best compete at the highest level in any sport, risks remain."

Caleb -- once an avid all-terrain vehicle rider -- was a 4-time X Games medalist who first began competing in 2010, after just one month of practicing on snowmobiles.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Columbo

He assumed the risks. RIP

milly5

RIP , good lookng guy.

hammonator62

This is very sad. I watched this live and could not believe it when he got up and walked away. I thought he was going to be ok and was shocked to learn of his death. My thoughts and prayers are with the Moore family.

Carl

Sad to hear, but that's the risk you take when you do those kind of sports.

Sharon1826

I am a fan of the X games, and was wtching when this happened. I noticed two things: 1 when the accident happened they just lifted him up and walked him away...NO EMT's were around him. They should NOT have moved him at all. 2. This sport is a very dangerous one, and I think should be stopped. The machines are too big, heavy and powerful, doing "stunts' with them in the air is not a sport, it's a very dangerous "stunt" and really should be stopped. I know a lot of people won't agree, but how can you protect the person on the sled if it's too heavy and out of control?

Noname

Stupid sport is a stupid sport and it should be banned, sucks he died tho.

There's a problem here

Why do people say things like "he died doing what he loved" like that makes it a happy occasion. He's still dead.

Smoothie33

That's really sad. I feel very sorry for his family and those who love him, but I'm sure he knew the possible outcomes. It was his decision to continue doing a job he loved.

Dave

RIP. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

RotureNelCielo

Have any of you ever drank, smoked, or do drugs? Have you ever been in a car?? Ever leave your house?? EVERYTHING is death waiting to happen, no matter what it is. All you moronic people that live in your own perfect world think that everyone asks to die by doing something stupid or things they love? EVERY choice EVERYONE makes can result in death, starting the second you step out of your plastic bubble. Show some compassion and if you REALLY don't care, leave your dumb comments off of a place where us people who are showing our condolences don't have to read how immature and heartless you dumb asses are. Show respect

AliiG

As sad as this may be, its probably the only way he wanted to go out, doing what he loved. RIP Caleb Moore.

DeeMaree

My condolances to his brother who also competes and the rest of his family. My husband and I are big X games fans. We are always simply amazed by what these kids are doing with skis, snowboards, and snow mobiles. Saw the accident and when that snow mobile landed on him I said, he has to be hurt. But he bounced up and immediately starting checking that machine hoping to be able to ride again. So sad. Not sure of rules in Xgames about being checked out thoroughly after such an accident like they make NASCAR drivers do after being involved in a crash. They did say he had a concussion. Don't know if an involved medical exam is done at Xgames and if not don't know if this would have made a difference. Just feel badly for his family but Caleb was doing what he truly loved.

Julie

This is tragic news. Thanks for entertaining us, Caleb. You will be missed.

...

I had the pleasure of seeing Caleb compete last year on my first trip to the X games. He was great! We will miss you!! My prayers and thoughts are with his family.

Amy

Man, didn't know who he was, but doing that well after such a short time is incredible. Rip, Caleb. Too young.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments