Ed Koch

Dead at 88

2/1/2013 5:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0201_ed_koch_gettyEd Koch -- one of the most popular mayors in New York City history -- died early this morning at the age of 88.

Koch had been hospitalized earlier this month for a lung ailment. He was also hospitalized last September for anemia and battled pneumonia last December.

Koch served in the United States House of Representatives from 1969-1977 and three terms as mayor of New York City from 1978-1989. He's credited with rescuing the city from dire financial straits during his time in charge.

He once described himself by saying, "I'm the sort of person who will never get ulcers. Why? Because I say exactly what I think. I am the sort of person who might give other people ulcers."

After his time in office, Koch served as a judge on "The People's Court" from 1997-1999.

Koch was never married and has no children.

0131_ed_koch_remembering_footer

judy jetson

RIP.

cecil b carter

Rip..... great man

NOT ELMO

R.i.P...... http://www.fandango.com/koch_160...326/movieoverview

Squatting Thunder

Ed Koch was one of the very few politicians I respected. Rest in piece Your Honor.

Andrew

He brought the city back from the dead. Possibly the best mayor in the history of the city. Anyone speaking negatively of him is both a troll and a loser. RIP Mayor Koch

BoXXDr

I hope Ron Jeremy starts doing better in the hospital or we might lose another famous Koch today.

truth

UMM! Let's not forget how he spoke, UMM! He did serve NYC well and UMM! but there were situations that UMM! never were rectified, UMM! If you here anyone talking like this please slap them for me and tell them to stop saying UMM! in every sentence.

J.E.B.

Rest in peace, Mr. Mayor. You were a class act! Everybody check out this video:

You Tube A Sundae In New York, music video, Jimmy Pickens

Sjango

The koch is dead no way who knew

Morticia Cowghoul

I always liked that cantankerous old dude. So sad. RIP.

Warlock2099

Kotch was so terrified of being outed that he ignored the AIDS epidemic out of fear of being associated with homosexuality. All those deaths could have been prevented had he had the courage to do the right thing

KateHiggs22

upto I looked at the bank draft which said $7173, I accept that...my... brothers friend actualie bringing in money in their spare time online.. there aunts neighbour has done this for less than nine months and resently repayed the depts on there home and purchased themselves a Lexus LS400. go to, Fox76.com

DaveT

Wasn't he pretty much tough-but-fair on People's Court, like the awesome Judge Wapner? Thinking yeah but don't totally remember...either way so much better than the current Judge Mouth......er judge Milian...who thinks the bench is her throne and the citizens in front of her (who pay her salary) should shut their mouths and let her run hers :D

FeefaGaga

Omfg I can't believe this!

Annette

NYC loved the man as he loved the city. RIP and remember to walk across that bridge.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments