Tennessee Senator

Tells Pro-Gay Constituent

... You Need a Shrink

2/1/2013 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0131-senator-stacey-campfield

Fun Fact -- Tennessee State Senator Stacey Campfield (R-Knoxville) personally responds to emails from his constituents ... how cool is that?

Not So Fun Fact -- If he doesn't like what you say, he'll tell you you're a mental case.

Backstory -- Sen. Campfield has been cloaked in controversy ever since he reintroduced the "Classroom Protection Act" to the Tennessee General Assembly this week ... also known as the "Don't Say Gay" bill.

The bill forbids teachers from discussing anything gay-related from kindergarten through 8th grade ... even banning the word "gay" itself from classroom discussion. The bill also has a provision requiring school counselors, principals, assistant principals and nurses to out potentially gay students to their parents in some circumstances.

Sen. Campfield has been receiving all sorts of letters criticizing his support for the bill ... including an email from one concerned Tennessean who wrote:

"I am appalled at your thought of [the bill] and how it will protect children. I [used] to be proud to call Tennessee my home but after this I am not so sure. Your mind set is pathetic as well as this bill. I encourage you to change your mind or you will make a bunch of people very upset. Imagine, if you have kids and one was gay, how this bill would affect them and you."

To the citizen's surprise, he got an email back a short time later from the Senator himself saying:

"You seem to have some serious, deep anger issues. Have you ever thought about therapy? I hear they are doing some wonderful things with medications these days.

Yours in service,

Sen. Stacey Campfield

Sent from my iPad"

We called the Senator for comment ... who confirmed he sent the email and explained that he just doesn't have patience for people who write aggressive letters toward him.

"When somebody gets into insulting or cussing or something along those lines, it breaks down communication and is not respectful," the Senator told us.

"I’m not here to be their piñata."

Still, Campfield says he's willing to give the concerned citizen another shot at an open dialogue regarding the bill ... if the citizen promises to control his "anger issues."

Daniel Thrasher

Write ups like this kinda turn me off from coming to this site. I mean don't get me wrong. I dont come here for corporate news quality stuff but I do get alot of my news here. This whole article suggests the Senator is the bad guy but in reading the emails I don't think I can think of many "RATIONAL" (key word) people that would think he was in the wrong. Compared to the other persons original email his was very polite. Just because hes a Senator we are going to make him to be the bad dude. Thats crazy. None of my comment is even based off of an opinion on the subject of Gay marriage. In fact im for it. But this is a bit propagandaish. IJS

Wardman3

Thou doth protesteth too mucheth indeed... This coming from someone who's unisex name is more associated with a female.

raiseace

Senator Stacey Campfield......I will keep my words very easy breezy for you so that you will not fire back that I have an "anger Management" problem. In a world with so many very real "dangerous" problems going on, how can you reasonably equate homosexuality as one of them?

Caleigh

He is probably gay he personally responds to emails from constituents then he doesn't have enough to do oh hes a state senator and not a real senator well that's good, keep his ignorant butt ugly self in TN!!

George E. Sawyer

The Senator is right. Children do not need to be exposed to homosucksual bull.Parents should be notified so they can launch an investigation into who is initiating improper sexual conduct toward their children.

Bag lady

I have lived in the "Bible belt" aka apparently the homophobic state of TN my whole life. one would think that even though a person is brought up that being gay is wrong and a choice and sinful that they would educate themselves and not let others Dictate how to raise their children. I am ashamed I live in a state where a Senator who obviously has unresolved issues allows those issues to influence his causes and not for the greater good of our children. This same guy thinks people choose to be poor and that children would do better in school if their welfare was based on their grades. Personally I feel his level of professionalism is zero and he should take his own advise and get that med script from the donors who put his ignorant homophobic self in office. When children were taught sex education in school back in 80's my parents had a choice to allow my participation and that was the only sex education I had. Why can't it be that way now? Why does a homophobic senator who did not do his home work that being gay is not a choice it is genetic get write a bill that does exclude children who may benefit the most. What is bad is a bill similar to this almost passed last year. He is the bully.

Luckypanda12

Ugh.....day walker!

The Federal Farmer

I don't believe people choose to be gay, but in a free country people should be able to choose whatever sexual bent they desire so long as their partner consents.

monique

this guy sounds like a total douchebag, and not because of his anti-gay ways of thinking (everybody has the right to feel however they want) but he needs to remember he is a represenative of THE PEOPLE and that includes white black straight and gay and if he has a problem bringing people together he shouldn't be in this line of work

patches

Sounds Like Senator Stacey Has something to Hide and I agree He does Protest Too Much... Come on Stacey Let the Truth really Come Out * like our of the Closet**

Me

Well it seems obvious that he reacted to the insulting "pathetic". Unless TMZ people have cognitive troubles they should see that he has a point, and that the only intolerant guy in this short exchange was the "concerned Tennessean" with his insulting wording about someone else opinion...

Pat

I feel that Sen. Campfield is trying to correct some very important flaws in our Public School Systems. I agree with him on these issues. His intentions are not to starve the children but, to get them educated in order to help themselves later in life. Wellfare can't be seen as a career.Making parents accountable for seeing that their children are in school and are at least making passing grades.and he excluded Special ED.

bbow

I give it 6 months until he has a gay scandal himself...

jack

It's just a matter of time until Senator Campfield is busted in an airport bathroom stall.

kath

I agree with the senator. Why would these gay people have to force the straight people to accept their lifestyle? they choose to live that way then they shouldn't be ramming us straights with their complaints.