Tennessee Senator

Tells Pro-Gay Constituent

... You Need a Shrink

2/1/2013 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0131-senator-stacey-campfield

Fun Fact -- Tennessee State Senator Stacey Campfield (R-Knoxville) personally responds to emails from his constituents ... how cool is that?

Not So Fun Fact -- If he doesn't like what you say, he'll tell you you're a mental case.

Backstory -- Sen. Campfield has been cloaked in controversy ever since he reintroduced the "Classroom Protection Act" to the Tennessee General Assembly this week ... also known as the "Don't Say Gay" bill.

The bill forbids teachers from discussing anything gay-related from kindergarten through 8th grade ... even banning the word "gay" itself from classroom discussion. The bill also has a provision requiring school counselors, principals, assistant principals and nurses to out potentially gay students to their parents in some circumstances.

Sen. Campfield has been receiving all sorts of letters criticizing his support for the bill ... including an email from one concerned Tennessean who wrote:

"I am appalled at your thought of [the bill] and how it will protect children. I [used] to be proud to call Tennessee my home but after this I am not so sure. Your mind set is pathetic as well as this bill. I encourage you to change your mind or you will make a bunch of people very upset. Imagine, if you have kids and one was gay, how this bill would affect them and you."

To the citizen's surprise, he got an email back a short time later from the Senator himself saying:

"You seem to have some serious, deep anger issues. Have you ever thought about therapy? I hear they are doing some wonderful things with medications these days.

Yours in service,

Sen. Stacey Campfield

Sent from my iPad"

We called the Senator for comment ... who confirmed he sent the email and explained that he just doesn't have patience for people who write aggressive letters toward him.

"When somebody gets into insulting or cussing or something along those lines, it breaks down communication and is not respectful," the Senator told us.

"I’m not here to be their piñata."

Still, Campfield says he's willing to give the concerned citizen another shot at an open dialogue regarding the bill ... if the citizen promises to control his "anger issues."

SheBe

My hubby has had this misfortune of working with this man and has told me about how crazy he is. He has brought all kinds of stupid bills to the state senate floor and has major support for them. He looks like he has fun with apple pies in his spare time...

ButterflyWings

Is it me, or is the citizen's e-mail not that angry? The senator definitely wouldn't like me, because whatever I said would have sounded 10 times worse.

rovex32@gmail.com

Actually you ARE there to be their pinata, you are there to serve them, to do their bidding. You seem to be forgetting that 'senator'.

Phishie from Philly

With a name like Stacy you don't like gay people. You know, since you have a girls name and all.
Phishie from Philly

Kandi

I would like to show him my "Anger" Issues. It's embarrassing that the people in my state would elect such an idiot to represent them.

Jessica

Not surprised

Brian Stevens

We need your support.

It'll take a strong campaign to beat Senator Campfield . We've started early with a focus on education, employment, equality and the environment. I encourage people to ask questions on my political page and check out my webpage to see if they support my campaign. I answer all questions personally.

Website - http://Vote4Stevens.com/

Campaign Email - BrianForTN@Gmail.com

Campaign Phone - (865) 386-5870

Facebook Political Page - http://www.facebook.com/BrianForTN

SoManyIdiots

Maybe there was some of the email from the patent that was left out, because it sure didn't seem "insulting or cussing" to me. A big problem in our country today is, there is no more discussion without name calling and attacks.

Reg

Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble commenting?

Lori

Oh my, that man is a total tool! He's the one with mental issues. It's sad that he holds a public office, because he clearly shouldn't be in a position of power. One term only for you, buddy. Less if you can be removed from office.

M

Senator CAMPfield, I think you have some deep gay issues, as in YOU ARE GAY!!! Come out of the closet and stop trying to set the world back 100 years. What's next the young school aged girls won't be able to vote or serve in student council? YOU SICKEN ME!!!

NobodySpecial

His name is Stacey. LOL.

LisaL

How was that letter tm aggressive? What a loser.
I don't like what you're saying so I'm gonna call you crazy! WAAAAAAAAH

Josies Mom