Tennessee Senator

Tells Pro-Gay Constituent

... You Need a Shrink

2/1/2013 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0131-senator-stacey-campfield

Fun Fact -- Tennessee State Senator Stacey Campfield (R-Knoxville) personally responds to emails from his constituents ... how cool is that?

Not So Fun Fact -- If he doesn't like what you say, he'll tell you you're a mental case.

Backstory -- Sen. Campfield has been cloaked in controversy ever since he reintroduced the "Classroom Protection Act" to the Tennessee General Assembly this week ... also known as the "Don't Say Gay" bill.

The bill forbids teachers from discussing anything gay-related from kindergarten through 8th grade ... even banning the word "gay" itself from classroom discussion. The bill also has a provision requiring school counselors, principals, assistant principals and nurses to out potentially gay students to their parents in some circumstances.

Sen. Campfield has been receiving all sorts of letters criticizing his support for the bill ... including an email from one concerned Tennessean who wrote:

"I am appalled at your thought of [the bill] and how it will protect children. I [used] to be proud to call Tennessee my home but after this I am not so sure. Your mind set is pathetic as well as this bill. I encourage you to change your mind or you will make a bunch of people very upset. Imagine, if you have kids and one was gay, how this bill would affect them and you."

To the citizen's surprise, he got an email back a short time later from the Senator himself saying:

"You seem to have some serious, deep anger issues. Have you ever thought about therapy? I hear they are doing some wonderful things with medications these days.

Yours in service,

Sen. Stacey Campfield

Sent from my iPad"

We called the Senator for comment ... who confirmed he sent the email and explained that he just doesn't have patience for people who write aggressive letters toward him.

"When somebody gets into insulting or cussing or something along those lines, it breaks down communication and is not respectful," the Senator told us.

"I’m not here to be their piñata."

Still, Campfield says he's willing to give the concerned citizen another shot at an open dialogue regarding the bill ... if the citizen promises to control his "anger issues."

anonymous

though I find the U.S. extremely homophobic to say the least, the guy has one point. Acting like an angry fool will get you treated like an angry fool. If you act kindly and try to get your point across by not being overly emotional, you have a better chance of being heard instead of being pushed aside as crazy or angry. Personal experience here.

Example here: the guy discussing gun rights on the piers morgan show.

Lindy

They are already teaching about gays in the schools in the NorthEast..if you don't like it all you can do is talk to your children but you can't stop it in those schools because of Gay marriage and it will be taught as normal.

lil ol nobody

His behavior is appalling enough - the school board where he graduated high school has refused to remove Campfield from the Hall of "Honor"?!?

Whoarewetojudge

As a "true" Christian, I raise my children that homosexuality (among other things) is ugly in God's eyes and should not be practiced. Homosexuality is simply having sex with a same-sex partner. Nothing more, nothing less. All of us have best friends of the same sex but we do not cross the line into homosexuality. We have learned to love without making in sexual. However, we do not have the right to judge and we are expected to love everyone. You can dislike the act but still love the person. Only God can judge, we need to love everyone regardless. What is unfortunate is that although sexual preference should be a private matter it is flaunted, put in the media continuously and our own beliefs in the matter are being ridiculed, challenged, put down and being called offensive names. I do not believe in gay marriage, I believe homosexuality in most cases is a choice and I will not now or ever condone it nor will I hate or persecute the person who is a homosexual. It is not up to me. Haters breed haters and I hope that my children will grow up being able to separate a way of life, from the person who is most probably just trying to live their life and keep their sexual activities private.

lisa

Okay,this is so ridiculous. When has this ever been a problem? Of all the years I went to school, no teacher has ever talked about gay, homosexuality, or sexual preference. No even in sex ed. I didn't know what "gay" was when I was a kid. Most teachers don't talk about sexuality in the classroom to children, and they don't have any business discussing sexuality when they have more important issues to tend to (and other things they should be teaching). Teachers aren't parents. Most of the time, kids find out about this stuff outside of school (like from parents/peers/media). The bill resolves a problem that does not exist.

Jules

The Senator is an intolerant, immature, angry embarrassment to those he is supposed to represent. How childish to respond in such a hateful and disrespectful manner. He sounds like he is the one needing meds for his condition.

self-employed

This has no place in the classroom. I've had enough of a small percentage of people pushing their gay lifestyle on the rest of us normal folks. Keep it to yourself and quit forcing it on children. I would bet any gay would like to be heterosexual. It goes against God and nature and always will. They all seem to be very angry and lash out by flaunting their sinful lifestyles. Please, keep your sex life to yourself.

Violent Pope

From Tennessee -1 His name is Stacey -1

KateHiggs22

Hunter. even though Hazel`s st0rry is cool, last saturday I bought themselves a Lexus LS400 since getting a check for $4074 thiss month and-over, 10/k this past-munth. without a doubt its my favourite-work Ive had. I began this nine months/ago and almost straight away brought home over $87, p/h. I went to this web-site,, Fox76.com

dyrich

I am so sick of the crazy anti gay people. The ones who yell no the loudest could be covering up. As a teacher, there is no way I would out a kid. That is crossing the line.

I'm out :-/

Stop forcing people to accept this unnatural sinful lifestyle, Y'all need Jesus.

Donna

Usually the ones who are the most homophobic have their own sexuality issues to contend with. #Fact.

Snipperse

Seems to me it is the Senator with anger issues!

Writeonmorgan

No one is forcing homosexuality on your children. They live in the real world, the one in which homosexuality really exists. One day they're going to watch TV anyway and then they'll say, "Hey Mom, isn't that Ellen Degeneres such a great, awesome person who seems to lead a happy, moral lifestyle and do a lot for charity? She's my new role model in life."
The horror!
;)
Christian fundamentalists are always harping on about protecting children but it seems to me they do the most damage, brainwashing them to believe that if they do turn out gay (through nature or nurture, whatever) they'll be rejected by both family and God, thus making them more likely to commit suicide.

Daniel Thrasher

Write ups like this kinda turn me off from coming to this site. I mean don't get me wrong. I dont come here for corporate news quality stuff but I do get alot of my news here. This whole article suggests the Senator is the bad guy but in reading the emails I don't think I can think of many "RATIONAL" (key word) people that would think he was in the wrong. Compared to the other persons original email his was very polite. Just because hes a Senator we are going to make him to be the bad dude. Thats crazy. None of my comment is even based off of an opinion on the subject of Gay marriage. In fact im for it. But this is a bit propagandaish. IJS