« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Artie Lange

The NFL Needs a

Gay Jackie Robinson

2/5/2013 7:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

020513_artie_lange_launch
Artie Lange says he WASN'T shocked by Chris Culliver's homophobic remarks during his explosive pre-Super Bowl interview with the 49ers player ... 'cause Chris' anti-gay feelings are probably shared by 99% of the NFL.

FYI -- Lange was the man who interviewed Culliver during Super Bowl week ... and is responsible for releasing the footage of Chris saying gay players are NOT welcome in the team's locker room.

"I hope he learns from it," Lange said after he arrived at JFK ... "and I hope I'm responsible for breaking the gay barrier in the NFL."

Lange says he hopes NFL players will become more tolerant of gay players ... but he doesn't think that will happen until an active gay player comes out of the closet.

"I think unfortunately what Culliver said reflects what 99 % of the league thinks," Lange says.

"What's gonna have to happen is a real star player ... a Jackie Robinson type ... a real star player is gonna have to come out WHILE HE'S PLAYING ... and other people will follow."

As for Culliver, the 49ers have announced he'll undergo sensitivity training with an LGBT organization.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Cat

Are there any self admitted gay men in the NFL right now? If there are I haven't heard about it, and they probably aren't going to step right up and admit it, right?

Cat

Someone needs to tell good ol' Artie that Jackie Robinson played baseball.....

buzz kill

This slob looks like a gay child molester.

Flyboy

99 percent? In 2003, in a random poll, about 50 percent of players said they would have no issue with a gay teammate. It isn't 99%. Maybe 60%, maybe 50%, maybe even 75%, but it's not every single player, past or present.

Anyway, ignoring this shock jock's antics, and his motives, one thing is true.............the sports world does need a Jackie Robinson figure who is gay, but more importantly, the GAY community needs a Jackie Robinson figure who is gay, to lead by example, for gay teens who are sporty and athletic, that you can succeed, and you aren't any less gifted because you're gay. Everyone talks about sports culture and what everyone is going to think and fails to realize who an out gay sportsman would most help.

Zambonie

Hey Lange!
*Go Be Fat Somewhere Else*

judy jetson

"I think unfortunately what Culliver said reflects what 99% of the league thinks". And you know this how??? Shut up!!

DaveT

People offended by this are acting kind of babyish, I have a gay friend I used to work with, he still works at the store I see him all the time and we talk, saw him the other day and mention this whole Chris thing, he rolled his eyes and swatted his hand and said, "Oh brother, the guy wasn't even talking in a mean tone when he said it, just joking around, it's being over done and as a gay man I would never insist I be allowed to be in the locker/shower room with the men, why would I?"
By the way, he's an open gay *republican* and his republican partner works in the same store, both nice guys...with balanced attitudes

anony

Guaranteed: because of what he said and HOW he played in the Super Bowl, the 49ers will dump this guy in the off season.

Chuck

Seriously, who is Artie Lang?

Luca Brazzi

WHY????????????????????

Democrats are evil

So he thinks he can force the gay agenda down the throats of 99% of the players. He's living in the world of OZ like most liberals.

wendy

don't ask, don't tell

Ugly Hung White dood

This is funny ... Artie is the last guy I want representing me or my sexuality. #2 Culliver did nothing wrong by stating his opinion - was he supposed to say "no comment"? ... there's plenty of gays who hate "breeders" ... don't hear about them getting blasted in the media ...

A

I'd bet the first thing he'd say when he left the locker room in front of the press would be...

"DON'T MAKE ME BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS!"

Jim in Cali

I'm amused that ARtie is now acting like he was always "pro-gay".

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments