Ex-Cop Christopher Dorner

Shops For Scuba Gear

2 Days Before Murders (VIDEO)

2/12/2013 8:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0211_the_droner_launch_3
Alleged cop killer Christopher Dorner went to a Southern California sporting goods store 2 days before he began his murder spree to purchase scuba equipment ... and TMZ has obtained the surveillance video.

Dorner went to Sports Chalet in Torrance -- a beachside community in the L.A. area -- on February 1st.  The video shows Dorner carrying in 2 small, yellow scuba tanks as he walks into the scuba section.  Sources tell us ... Dorner got the tanks refilled with oxygen.

The video then shows Dorner leaving the scuba section with the 2 yellow tanks, along with another large, black scuba tank.  Dorner then goes to the counter, and then has a friendly conversation with the cashier, at times laughing.

Dorner -- who was a member of a Naval undersea warfare unit -- pays cash for the items and then leaves.

The surveillance tape shows Dorner arriving at Sports Chalet at 9:21 PM and leaving at 9:38 PM, just as the store closed.

The bodies of the first 2 victims were found at 9 PM on February 3rd -- 48 hours after Dorner's trip to Sports Chalet.

What's really interesting ... Dorner reportedly tried stealing a boat in San Diego on February 6th ... where scuba gear might come in handy.  The plan was thwarted when the prop got tangled in a rope.

Sources tell TMZ ... the U.S. Marshals went to Sports Chalet Sunday and got a copy of the surveillance video.

Law enforcement sources involved in the case have confirmed to TMZ ... the man in the video is indeed Dorner.  And, as one law enforcement source put it, the video is significant because "it shows what he was up to."

LISA

I've only read 1 1/2 pages of his manifesto, and it's obvious he didn't just snap - he's been angry his entire life. Here's one example from the when he was in Grade 1:

"...I can recall, called me a niqqer on the playground. My response was swift and non-lethal. I struck him fast and hard with a punch an kick. He cried and reported it to a teacher."

He makes it clear he feels justified in responding to what he perceives to be poor treatment or verbal slurs, with violence. He has given several examples of his 'right to defend' using violence, while he was in Junior High School.

Grace

The cops should check to see if he's created an underground base on whatever property he owns or whatever difficult terrain is nearby. The snorkel equipment may not be for water.

thehoch

My guess is he didn't really have a plan. Dude went to San Diego and tried to hijack a boat. What does that say? He didn't know what to do. I think he could be in Vegas. Why not? He could blend in real easily. And from Big Bear he could have jumped on the highway and been there in a few hours. I doubt he's in the woods anymore. He gone...

Chorizo300

He is in Mexico forming an army!!

Lydia

run Joey run

Kaaka

Damn!! this kat seems like he can do it all from flying planes to now a member of the undersea war unit, isn't there anything he can't do.

Lydia

Wow TMZ you could be screwing up an investigation big time. I hope you got permission to show this video because maybe, just maybe, LE having this evidence but Dorner NOT knowing they know... would have led to his capture. But now this is out there.

LetsBeReAL

He probably got close enough to the Mexican border in Cali and then swam the rest of the way into Mexico to avoid being stopped by border patrol. He's probably def not in Mexico because of their close ties with the US. He's probably half way through Central America or South America by now. Good luck finding this guy. He's obviously smarter than the lapd so far. LoL

SImon

Am I the only one who's ROOTING for this guy!!!!! He's done TWO THINGS I'm proud of!

#1~ He's prooved that COPS are pieces of S*** who seek that life of crime to be involved in because they are nothing but criminals themselves
#2~ He's taken out one of the S***S themselves!

I LOVE HIM! He's a FLASHLIGHT on the S*** that is a POLICEMAN!!!!!

Tuna212

An oxygen tank makes a nice bomb,just saying.

LunieLhg

Chris is my hero run Chris run come to my pro jects they wont find u here

brent

The question is, when this is over, who's body count will be higher, Dorner's or the keystone LAPD???

Wayne

Is it just me or does this guy look a lot like Mr. Tickle me fing Elmo, Kevin Clash?

BAD DAY . . . ??
`
--- Boat propeller tangled with rope = DISABLED
--- Truck axle broken = DISABLED

Quiet

Black man buying scuba gear??? This guy ain't human he must be something else. No wonder cops can't find him he's not human u fools!