« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Oscar Pistorius

I Didn't Mean to Kill Her ...

I Swear

2/19/2013 6:15 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0219_pistorius_inside_courtroom_launch_v2Oscar Pistorius swore in court today that he believes he was shooting at an intruder when he gunned down girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp ... but prosecutors scoffed, saying he was hell-bent on killing her.

Pistorius' lawyer read his client's sworn affidavit to the judge, explaining that he believed an intruder was in his house on Valentine's Day and he felt vulnerable because he was in bed without his prosthetic legs ... and that's why he pumped a round of bullets into the bathroom door.

The prosecutor saw it differently ... he said Pistorius' motive was simple -- "I want to kill."  Prosecutor Gerrie Nel said the Olympian took the time to put his prosthetic legs on, walk 23 feet, and then he began shooting.

Pistorius claims he had no idea he was shooting at Steenkamp until he realized she was not in his bed.  He said, "It filled me with horror and fear."

oscar_sub_v2

He claims he did not have his prosthetic legs on when he fired.  He says he put his legs on, walked to the door and bashed it open with a cricket bat and discovered Steenkamp mortally wounded.  He says he carried her downstairs and "She died in my arms."

The prosecutors scoffed, saying Pistorius and Steenkamp had just finished a shouting match when he fired 4 shots into the bathroom, hitting Steenkamp 3 times.

oscar_sub_v4

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

rlemons

I may get crap for this but I believe him. I've read several stories, way before this happened, where he spoke about being paranoid someone was gonna break in. There was one where he thought someone was in his laundry room and he was ready to hurt them until he realized it was his washer. It's been made clear that , that country has a lot of crime and robberies. I really believe this was a terrible accident. Not every couple who fights or even lays a hand on one another means they want to kill the other. I hope hes freed.

LAPartyMcSage

Everything about this guy screams gun nut. And if it wasn't this girl, it would've eventually been someone else. So he needs to be put away.

fonzie

This is the most bizarre story.

Brooke

So let me get this straight - it says, "he felt vulnerable because he WAS IN BED without his legs..." then it says, "he had no idea he was shooting at her until he realized she wasn't IN BED"... wouldn't he have known that she was not in bed IF he were in fact in bed like he said he was when he was feeling vulnerable?? If I'm in bed, I can tell if someone is there in bed with me or now....

mason

He can be super rich, super famous, super talented, super handsome, super whatever but still he does not have legs. That only can can crush his self esteem and make him full of hate and violent when something does not go as he wishes. he s been violent in the past and not too long ago. :( I don' t believe his poor story

Gigi

Great, so she had to go through the additional indignity of dying on the crapper!!?

LAPartyMcSage

My guess is she wouldn't give him a jo blob and as a cripple he took it the wrong way. But pretty model types don't do BJs and looks often don't put out.

Who is the parent

Thank you for this TMZ. I posted a comment earlier that I missed the old TMZ re police reports, law facts and "source" info re celeb investigations and boom here this is. I was curious to understand that bathroom better and this helped re the visual aide.

Iris Myandowski

wait he didn't "have his legs on" and was in bed, but somehow shot through the walk-in closet around a corner and into the bathroom door ? That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense !!

DaveT

Good example of how feminist-influenced society behaves toward accused men compared to how they behave toward accused women:
Jodi Arias. Stab stab stab stab stab, shoot.
Society and the media respond..."she was probably abused!!!!"...."poor woman was a victim!!!"...."he probably deserved it!!!!"
Oscar Pistorius. Accused of abuse and murder. No proof or evidence presented.
Society and media respond: "GUILTY!!!!"....."typical abusive man!!!!"....."we have no proof but he's lying!!!"
Welcome to feminist-influenced society ;)

Roman Moroni

in my opinion he's worse than OJ a complete pile of

CyndiChainsaW

Could he have been in some drunken state and really thought there was an intruder? I'm not accepting that scenario, I'm just wondering if he had any kind of alcohol/drug abuse that could have made him not know what was going on too

dan

South Africa is so corrupt, this waste of skin won't do more than a year. What a piece of crap! Too bad Mandela got rid of capital punishment! This is a perfect reason to bring it back! I wish he had been born missing the top half!

Ann

The MOST COMPELLING thing about this that he called his friend 20 minutes after 1st shots were fired...then cops came and they saw him performing CPR. He only dragged her down the stairs to do that to get away from murder scene and to make himself look good performing CPR. Performing CPR was only a show for the cops.

Jody

Is he too stupid to realize that the cops will be able to figure out the trajectory and if he was standing on stumps when he fired the gun by the angle of the shot?