'Different World' Star

Dead at 77

2/20/2013 6:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0220_lou_myers_facebook_01
"A Different World" Star Lou Myers -- famous for playing Mr. Vernon Gaines on the 80s show -- has died, TMZ has learned.

The President of Lou's non-profit tells TMZ, Lou passed away last night in West Virginia at the Charleston Medical Center following a heart-related emergency.

Lou was hospitalized in December for pneumonia but released after New Year's. He collapsed at home a few weeks later and was hospitalized again.

Lou's heart stopped yesterday. Doctors were able to revive him, but he fell into a coma and passed just hours later. He was 77.

And yes, his Wikipedia and IMDb pages are incorrect. We're told he lied about his age. According to official records, Lou's birthday was September 26, 1935. As one source put it, "You know how actors are."

An autopsy has been scheduled to determine the official cause of death.

We're told Lou -- who served in the Army -- will receive a military burial in West Virginia. He is survived by his son and his 95-year-old mother.

dale12

So sorry to hear this, rest in peace, Godspeed, and condolences to the Family...I loved U on "It's a Different World."

helloooo

RIP :(

TLM

MrGaines! :( I can still hear the sound of his voice...Rest in peace.

catmom72

Loved this show,

kelly bushing

i realy love lou..great person.. god bless him.

verlinda

R.I.P. LOU

mslaine

RIP Mr Gaines

Bridget Tinson

R.I.P. Mr Gaines

RaisingStar

Rest in peace.

Leighton

RIP, friend. I hope yo have truly found nothing but the peace and joy you deserve v

Nicoleasm

People shouldn't be dying at 77...that's why it's so important to eat healthy and exercise, not just to thjnk about looking good, but to keep your heart strong and healthy

Faye

Don't feel bad. They treat American's like dirt too. Last week, they went after a 3-year old in a wheel chair. Confiscated her stuffed toy and made her cry. TSA is an equal opportunity abuser.

jonathan

how sad rip

robin

I was fortunate to have met this wonderful man many years ago at a mutual friends funeral. When he passed by my then husband and I, I couldn't believe that it was him. When I asked if he was infact Lou Meyers aka Mr. Gaines, he was very sweet, took my hand, kissed it and said "Yes, My lady I am one in the same." He was sweet and had eyes that smiled. Rest in Peace.

robin

I was fortunate to have met this wonderful man many years ago at the funeral of another hollywood actor. When my then husband and I were outside waiting for his cousin who was the son of another actress, Lou passed by us and I was shocked. I asked him if he was Lou Meyers, and he said yes. He asked me my name, and he took my hand, kissed it and said My Lady, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintence." He was so sweet. He had eyes that smiled. He allowed me many pix with him. He will always be remembered for his portrayal on Different World and this one and only time we met. May you rest in peace dear man.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments