Michael Moore:

Palestinian Oscar Nom

DETAINED at LAX

2/20/2013 7:08 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0220_michael_moore_emad

Director Michael Moore is outraged ... claiming his friend -- a Palestinian director whose film is nominated for an Oscar -- was detained at LAX last night because officials didn't believe the man was REALLY in town for the Academy Awards.

Moore tweeted a play-by-play of the incident ... claiming his friend, Emad Burnat -- whose film "5 Broken Cameras" is nominated for Best Documentary Feature," was held for an hour-and-a-half while officials grilled him about his visit.

Moore tweeted, "Emad, his wife & 8-yr old son were placed in a holding area and told they didn't have the proper invitation on them to attend the Oscars."

He continued, "Although he produced the Oscar invite nominees receive, that wasn't good enough & he was threatened with being sent back to Palestine."

"Apparently the Immigration & Customs officers couldn't understand how a Palestinian could be an Oscar nominee. Emad texted me for help."

"I called Academy officials who called lawyers. I told Emad to give the officers my phone # and to say my name a couple of times."

"After 1.5 hrs, they decided to release him & his family & told him he could stay in L.A. for the week & go to the Oscars. Welcome to America."

"'It's nothing I'm not already used to,' he told me later. 'When u live under occupation, with no rights, this is a daily occurrence.'"

Moore concluded ... "He was certain they were going to deport him. But not if I had anything to do about it."

We've reached out to LAX and immigration officials -- so far, no comment.

Livvie

lol say his name a bunch of times? Michael Moore has too high an opinion of himself.

serialmom187

Michael Moore is a fat piece of ****!!

Smitty

When is this giant P(o)S going to have a heart attack and die already? Nothing against the arab guy, I just can't stand michael moore.

Kev the Realist

Well excuse me but the Palestinin leadership has called for the elimination of Israel and their leadership has been branded as harboring and condoning terrorism, by our Government, so I for one and happy that Customs and Immigration is thoroughly checking on any palestintain and other seeking to do us harm, before letting them into our country. No American can forget what has happened to us since we are attacked on 9/11.

Buckaroobonzai

I have no problem with officials detaining any palistinian they want if it's to secure the safety of the american people. Tell moore to stuff it!

donnythesavage

Haha As a fellow minority. Ive grown accustom 2 having random and un called for incidents with those who claim 2 "enforce the law" and "keep the peace" Its no biggie it happens all the time. I take it in a good way and always remind my self that theyre actually doing what they are paid 2 do. lol Just cuz hes a "celeb" it doest exempt him from having 2 be questioned

Tubal22

I wish Michael Moore would move to Palestine.

WorldTraveler

No rights??? He was able to get a camera and make a movie and get the movie on the 'big screen'. If he had no right, then that would not be possible.

lynn

THANK YOU TSA for doing your job! Do not support the rantings of insane Michael Moore. You are not above the law, and neither is anyone. It is a priviledge to be in this country.

Mikey

So if you're detained and you say "Michael Moore, Michael Moore" a couple of times they let you go an hour and a half later? Is that what Moore believes?

Wonder what happens when you say Robert De Niro a couple of times?

Mikey

I said "let there be light" at about 4 am this morning and a couple of hours later the sun came up. I think Moore's on to something here.

Mikey

We don't need no stinking passport, we have an Oscar invitation print on this piece of paper. Thats better than a passport, ask Michael Moore.

ray

MM, should just dissappear. Worthless loudmouth ugly as sin blowhard.

mscientist

Every day that Michael Moore is a little outraged, is a good day. It means somebody, somewhere is doing something a little right.

liberalsneedhelp1

Why does Michael Moore insist on demonstrating what a jerk, mentally challenged, bag of hot air he is?

Sir, did it occur to you perhaps they did not have the correct do***entation with them at the airport?
Did it occur to you the TSA officials follow a protocol. As annoying, intrusive, downright creepy as that physical and do***ent protocol may be, they generally follow it.

I don't think his Oscar nomination has much to do w/ anything. Of course, YOU would bring that up...'don't you know who I am?' Hey, it's LA, Hollywood, they get lots of famous people in all the time...take a number on that tactic.

Again, perhaps, the guy did not have all of his do***ents in order ... or the TSA official was not the sharpest tool in the box....that's a shocker. But, I doubt highly it was personal or racist. Just the govt. doing the job you want them to do, right...

Get over yourself. Of course he will win, it's very liberal right, very left of left....very pro-Mikey Moore view of the world, so naturally it will win. No anti-Bush movie to make this year, so that one will do.

LAX TSA, seriously? LA, yes, the bastion of right wing nuts....yes, LAX is infamous for shakedowns of foreign looking & sounding people. LAX where over half the employees are not white, in a city where 3/4's of the people are not white...yeah, that's it Mikey. Have another donut Moore.