Michael Moore:

Palestinian Oscar Nom

DETAINED at LAX

2/20/2013 7:08 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0220_michael_moore_emad

Director Michael Moore is outraged ... claiming his friend -- a Palestinian director whose film is nominated for an Oscar -- was detained at LAX last night because officials didn't believe the man was REALLY in town for the Academy Awards.

Moore tweeted a play-by-play of the incident ... claiming his friend, Emad Burnat -- whose film "5 Broken Cameras" is nominated for Best Documentary Feature," was held for an hour-and-a-half while officials grilled him about his visit.

Moore tweeted, "Emad, his wife & 8-yr old son were placed in a holding area and told they didn't have the proper invitation on them to attend the Oscars."

He continued, "Although he produced the Oscar invite nominees receive, that wasn't good enough & he was threatened with being sent back to Palestine."

"Apparently the Immigration & Customs officers couldn't understand how a Palestinian could be an Oscar nominee. Emad texted me for help."

"I called Academy officials who called lawyers. I told Emad to give the officers my phone # and to say my name a couple of times."

"After 1.5 hrs, they decided to release him & his family & told him he could stay in L.A. for the week & go to the Oscars. Welcome to America."

"'It's nothing I'm not already used to,' he told me later. 'When u live under occupation, with no rights, this is a daily occurrence.'"

Moore concluded ... "He was certain they were going to deport him. But not if I had anything to do about it."

We've reached out to LAX and immigration officials -- so far, no comment.

sbcalmow

Michael Moore needs to shut it. The Entertainment Industry has so many convicted felons. It's a job industry that doesn't do background checks. Movie Awards aren't "federal security entitlement." Just because you made a movie doesn't entitle you to anything. He needs to get real.

Michell

Michael...STFU

judy jetson

Michael Moore is an ASS HOLE!!

Gina

TSA is a Huge embarrassment to United State !!
Huge!

Violent Pope

Go back to Canada you fat f-ck.

Nonsense

Maybe MM is so outraged he will move to Palestine with his dear friend. I'll pay for the one way ticket

Scott

It's all George Bush's fault! I'm not sure how yet but as soon as Michael Moore makes another conspiracy theory movie about it I'll let you know.

Jackie

LOL...this dude is full of it. I don't think they let him stay cause of you Micheal....please stfu.

Karla

MM needs to sit down/no one knows what happened there including him. We have no idea what passport this man was traveling with or anything else. Not to mention since there is no airport in the West Bank or Gaza he would have had to fly out of Ben Gurion. Our security is a Mickey Mouse organization compared to what is required there going out or coming in. I am sure that not everyone there is as fascinated with the upcoming Academy Awards.

GoodOnPaper

stfu michael! Whered ya get the face scratches??? your paymate had enuf??

Mrugowsky

As has been demonstrated on several occasions Moore is simply a lying, fat bastard. His Liberal agenda is scary. He's the one that should have been detained as a terrorist.

Kathy

Welcome to the real world Michael. We all have to play by the rules including you and your friends. What makes you so special???????

sean

if any american traveled to that part of world we would be kept longer,treated worse and fined.
this dude should be happy it was only an hour and a half- ive waited longer on security lines at JFK.
MM should shut up! stop trying to make something for nothing.

matt

How about have your proper paper work? When I travel overseas I'm damn sure I have all my paperwork. Stupid.

Kay

He wasn't going to be deported if you "had anything to do with it" ??? Just who might you think you are Mr. Moore? Please, let me tell you---you are a delusional piece of crap. Dream on.