Michael Moore:

Palestinian Oscar Nom

DETAINED at LAX

2/20/2013 7:08 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0220_michael_moore_emad

Director Michael Moore is outraged ... claiming his friend -- a Palestinian director whose film is nominated for an Oscar -- was detained at LAX last night because officials didn't believe the man was REALLY in town for the Academy Awards.

Moore tweeted a play-by-play of the incident ... claiming his friend, Emad Burnat -- whose film "5 Broken Cameras" is nominated for Best Documentary Feature," was held for an hour-and-a-half while officials grilled him about his visit.

Moore tweeted, "Emad, his wife & 8-yr old son were placed in a holding area and told they didn't have the proper invitation on them to attend the Oscars."

He continued, "Although he produced the Oscar invite nominees receive, that wasn't good enough & he was threatened with being sent back to Palestine."

"Apparently the Immigration & Customs officers couldn't understand how a Palestinian could be an Oscar nominee. Emad texted me for help."

"I called Academy officials who called lawyers. I told Emad to give the officers my phone # and to say my name a couple of times."

"After 1.5 hrs, they decided to release him & his family & told him he could stay in L.A. for the week & go to the Oscars. Welcome to America."

"'It's nothing I'm not already used to,' he told me later. 'When u live under occupation, with no rights, this is a daily occurrence.'"

Moore concluded ... "He was certain they were going to deport him. But not if I had anything to do about it."

We've reached out to LAX and immigration officials -- so far, no comment.

yepitsme

Detained is all it said. They never said they were treated badly or disrespected in any way. I for one have no problem with anyone of any peace being detained at the airport. It's for the protection of the country you're entering. People who get offended are ridiculous. When something of a terrorist nature happens everyone blames the airlines for not being tough enough on security. It can't be both ways people. If you're not doing anything wrong you'll be fine. It's as simple as getting pulled over, if you not doing anything wrong you'll be fine. Also, before people start with the racist accusation, I am black.

Cheri

This guy is such a dick, who cares if HIS friend was detained, who F****** cares, I have been detained and so has millions of other AMERICANS, Michael Moore is a big time
vile piece of trash. I wish he would drive off a cliff.

JDoors

Just when you've dismissed Michael Moore as not being capable of being any more of a putz, he pulls this crap.

Michael Moore! Wonder-Putz!

Interfering with security agents, name-dropping HIS OWN FREAKIN' NAME, implying he got some poor innocent out of a horrible, horrible prison cell (really? at the airport?), what a putz.

People get detained every day. It's not some conspiracy againsts Michael Moore's "friends." Buttwad. I mean, Putz.

val

Israel, did you forget about them ugly Moore? We are so sick of your fake films. You made money on the lives of people you defamed. You're a glutton, a deliberate bully who prevailed once but will never again. Keep eating and if you can get to the 'Heart Attack Grill' in Las Vegas. Go! They've got a nice killer hamburger for fatties that does give heart attacks. You'll eat one, for you are greedy and they can carry you out like their clientele goes too often. In your case ... go

RuthieB

Moore is absolutely disgusting and anti-American. He needs to just keep his mouth shut.

Don'tYaJustLuvIt?

Oz Angel Homeland Security...if you are profiling that's illegal. http://www.tmz.com/2013/02/20/michael-moore-palestinian-oscar-nominee-detained-lax-emad-burnat/ If this story from Michael Moore is true, you should be sued. You cannot hold someone without just cause, just because they are from Palestine. I am not a big fan of Homeland Security because of its overly-zealous handling of non-whites. This one simply demonstrates that your system is broken, your Officers are incompetent, and as the result are not trained properly. It saddens me as an American to know that even in 2013...we treat other humans this way. DISGRACE and DISPCIABLE! How would any of those IDIOTS treating that man and his family like garbage appreciate their family members been treated the same.

sammyelizabeth

I'm not sure why Moore is making such a huge deal about this. Even legal immigrants are detained at times to make sure their do***ents are legitimate and that the person is who they say they are. I am Canadian and have legally lived in the United States for ten years now and I am almost always questioned and held at the border or airport and this happens to other legals as well. It's simply a security measure. Sure, at times customs can be douchey but eh, they are doing their jobs.

Ivantank

lets trade and send fat **** MM back to Palestine

Brianne

"I told Emad to give the officers my phone # and to say my name a couple of times."

Um, who does Big Mike think he is? That's childishly ridiculous. I could fly to England and say "Kate invited me to her baby shower - see here's the card", but that doesn't necessarily make it so... I'd still have to have all the proper do***entation to be allowed through customs. The guy probably would have had an easier time if he DIDN'T mention going to the Oscars. Follow me here... he's an Arab man flying into an air-traffic apex telling people he's going to a major televised event where the world's celebrity elite will be gathered. Of COURSE he's gonna get held up at the checkpoint. Is that politically correct? NO. But, unfortunately, that's the current state of world affairs.

I'll save my outrage for the thousands of Veterans we have living on the streets and digging through garbage bins for something to eat.

Chuck

EVERYTHING Moore says is a lie.

bob reed

Whi is MIchael Moore ? Looks like one of the big ballons from the Macy's parade especially given all he has inside is hot air.

Lily Daisy

I like Michael Moore and think he has some incredible, and common sense, insight into our corrupt capitalist system, but I am not so naive to think that Palestinians entering this country won't be detained if there is a shred of doubt about their reson for being here. Sorry Michael, but the Palestonian government has brought this on themselves with their MO and the officials prefer to operate on the side of caution rather than risk a mistake in a or of friendliness. Unfortunately tat is the times we live in. All said and done, they were released without being hurt.

john

Ladies and gentlemen do you need anymore proof that your country has been hijacked by someone other than our representatives...Has it hit home, that the TSA and the Dept. of HOMELAND SECURITY are not constitutionally acceptable government agencies?
THey are no different than the NAZI organizatiion from WW2...These are agencies who cannot be affected by our representatives....IE the people....

They have been pitting us against each other based on race, sex, gender, age and any other way so they can rape this nation....

Time to come together america...

tansubh

MM takes himself WAAAAY too seriously and thinks he's important when he's really not. What he thinks the TSA is afraid of HIM?

backfire

Directors are not above the search everyone goes thru at airport. Better safe than sorry. What happens to American women in their airports?