« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tim Tebow

CANCELS Speech

at Controversial Church

2/21/2013 7:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0221_tim_tebow_01
Tim Tebow has officially yanked himself from a speaking engagement at a church in Dallas ... after reports surfaced that he'd be sharing the pulpit with a preacher who has denounced Jews and gays.

Tebow was slated to speak at the First Baptist Church of Dallas in April ... but moments ago, the NFL star tweeted:

"While I was looking forward to sharing a message of hope and Christ's unconditional love with the faithful members of the historic First Baptist Church of Dallas in April, due to new information that has been brought to my attention, I have decided to cancel my upcoming appearance."

He continued, "I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring Faith, Hope and Love to all those needing a brighter day. Thank you for all of your love and support. God Bless!"

Tebow made no specific references to the preacher who has made the homophobic and anti-Semitic statements -- Dr. Robert Jeffress -- but it's pretty obvious Tebow realized the negative PR implications of being photographed next to the guy.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Christopher R

Why? Because he hasn't learned to read yet?
Too late, Tim. Your damage has been DONE.

K-Town69

Although I can appreciate the values espoused by Tebow, because I really think he works hard to live a Christian life, but I honestly believe his cancellation of his appearance demonstrates he is not as mature as I thought in his walk as Christian. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of him standing tall for what he believes, but his walk should be a progression. Him attending the church would have been a great opportunity to preach on God's love. His light is suppose to shine in the dark places. Who knows....perhaps with his commitment and the power of God, they could have transformed the thinking of the pastor by renewing his mind with the word of God.

He shouldn't let the media, the world, or comments deter him or persuade him from being used as a light in dark a place. That's exactly what the Lord did. He purposely chose environments that needed his presence, love, teachings, and compassion. It's called illumination. Canceling his appearance, means he was only going for the pastor and not necessarily for the people. Sometimes people don't know what they don't know....especially if they have not been exposed to accurate teachings. He could have persuaded others to renounce intolerance, and embrace inclusion. He missed a great opportunity. The Lord, Himself said, "The healed has no need of a physician, but only those who are sick." Translation: Why only go to places that already know how to love and embrace people. Go to those who don't know and shine your light. That's where you are most effective and can make a difference.

tgrfan42069

tv producers can make shows about it,politicians can say it,many can believe it.but being gay is not normal nor is it natural.monkeys throw poo at people does that mean its normal for humans to do that as well?

jonto

What a completely rediculous analogy.

e33

religion poisons everything

Dino

Jesus came to this world & never ever taught anyone to hate others. I have respect for this guy now. Spread love not Hate !

LISA

That was a good decision, but TMZ is making it sound like it just a PR moe. Maybe Tebow just doesn't want to share the pulpit with the hateful preacher because of his personal morals and values?

Lee

I don't trust people who go around spouting about what good christians they are but I believe that Tebow is not that kind of Christian. He seems to be a fair, truthful and honest man with good intentions. He practices what the christians preach (but pretty much ignore except on Sunday morning). Ghandi once said that he didn't particularly like christions because they were so unlike Christ who he liked very much. Tebow is proving that not all christians fall under that description. I saw on a church board once that "you have been put here to testify, not to judge". That describes Tebow.

Randy Morrison

THANK YOU TIM!!! I am gay and a fan of yours (have read your book) and certainly know we don't agree on EVERYTHING, but your God is not about HATRED, and you are THE MAN for making this stand!!!

Javadude54

Good for him.

user007

Tebow only cancelled after being informed he would be asked to throw a football through a tire while on stage. :)

Larry

I guess Tebow doesn't have the balls to show up and present an argument against what this other moron was saying.

Larry

Why doesn't TT go and present an argument against what the other moron is saying? Maybe not smart or courageous enough?

snowboardchick

He really should show up and express his message of love. Then denounce all the horrific things that so called church does.

Obbop

The well-indoctrinated lad was likely exposed from an early age by those intending to fill his mind with religious teachings.

Get them while they are young and it is so much easier to indoctrinate them.

Disagree with me and I and my invisible, unprovable creator being will meet you and your invisible, unprovable creator at the bike racks after school and commence some might smiting.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments