« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tim Tebow

CANCELS Speech

at Controversial Church

2/21/2013 7:10 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0221_tim_tebow_01
Tim Tebow has officially yanked himself from a speaking engagement at a church in Dallas ... after reports surfaced that he'd be sharing the pulpit with a preacher who has denounced Jews and gays.

Tebow was slated to speak at the First Baptist Church of Dallas in April ... but moments ago, the NFL star tweeted:

"While I was looking forward to sharing a message of hope and Christ's unconditional love with the faithful members of the historic First Baptist Church of Dallas in April, due to new information that has been brought to my attention, I have decided to cancel my upcoming appearance."

He continued, "I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring Faith, Hope and Love to all those needing a brighter day. Thank you for all of your love and support. God Bless!"

Tebow made no specific references to the preacher who has made the homophobic and anti-Semitic statements -- Dr. Robert Jeffress -- but it's pretty obvious Tebow realized the negative PR implications of being photographed next to the guy.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Nobrows

I think it was his standards, not the thought of negative PR, that was the reason he canceled. Give the guy some credit for doing the right thing.

beth

He probably has a very smart and talented JEWISH lawyer and agent!

She's baaaack

I'm not up on my religion these days but I remember a story about a scruffy old beggar who was knocking on doors looking for some food and people were shutting the door in his face and generally turning the guy away. Tuners out the guy was supposed to be Jesus and he said something like "whoever loves the least of my people loves me too" or something like that. The bible thumpers seem to have forgotten that one but at least Tebow seems to get it. Sorry if I butchered the story but you get my jist.

Kookla

Seriously?? Why make such a big deal over this guy and his religion. He's getting way too much attention then he deserves

Steve

I am against bigotry of any kind. I do not care for extremes in any religion. With that said, Tebow gets more negative press for his religious views than a Muslim that kills in the name of religion.

mindful_indulgence

Well, to be fair, Romney IS IN a cult.

Dick Bupkiss

This preacher talking about gays, jews, mormonists, Islamists etc.. If he didn't take home over $1M per year, he likely wouldn't care whether he's a hater or not. The guy is what you call a professional moron, no, not mormon-ha. He makes big$$ being a pro moron hater. It's a line of work that he could get since being a manager at McDonalds didn't work for him. In fact, aside from being an opinionated librarian, a late night show (nobody watches) host, or someone the kids beat up during recess back in the 1950's, this dude was destined to take on this career of Professional Hater Moron. Hey, it pays him well. No one trusts him and there's a great chance he could be gay (which explains a lot regarding his feelings towards the gay community). His lies about 70% of gays having aids is laughable. Doesn't he know that some people will check on the "facts" that he spews. A guy like this, ultimately fails.

Schroeder

If T Bow truly believed in his beliefs then he would have not backed out. It is apparrent that he values his ego & what people think of him more that his beliefs.

EEEE

Jeffress should have been aborted.

EEEE

Jeffress should have been aborted.

EEEE

Jeffress should have been aborted.

Nicole

Gotta watch out for those Baptists..they are hardcore and IMHO give Christians a bad rap

SWABLAR

More power to you Tim Tebow! Don't let the religious bigots and haters win!!!!

Believer

Christ hated sin. Being gay is a sin. So if Tebow refused to speak at a church that does not like homosexuals, then he needs to check his religion at the door and learn to follow Christ.

T