Ben Affleck's Oscar Speech

Can He Recover

... At Home??

2/25/2013 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

022513_ben_affleck_oscars_v2_launchBen Affleck could probably use a ladder to get out of that hole he dug himself into at the Oscars last night when he called out the imperfections in his marriage to Jennifer Garner during his "Argo" victory speech.

You could hear the nervous laughter from the crowd when Affleck -- who was racing through his speech -- said, "I want to thank my wife ... for working on our marriage for 10 Christmases."

He continued, "It's good ... it IS work, but it's the best kind of work ... and there's no one I'd rather work with."

We respect his honesty ... and Garner was smiling when the camera cut to her ... but how do you think the comment went over at home, behind closed doors?

We gotta ask ...

lyny

He just said a heartfelt truth. Marriage is a lot of work, especialy when you have young kids. He just thanked his wife because he regonise that she works hard to make their family happy.

I think it was a beautiful speech.

Ih8Taxes

Typical liberal baboon.

Anonymous

I don't see anything wrong in the way it was said. He seemed excited, shocked, overwhelmed, etc... Shoot everything takes work if you want it to be the best you can make it. I thought it was a compliment...... He wouldn't want to do it with anyone else. That's sweet. That seems like love to me.

scoopie

Maybe he was hallucinating and thought he married the other Jennifer.

Sienna Sacha

Afflieck is an idiot. . . . he stole a great story and ruined it. .yet, hollywood gave him an oscar. . .I guess lies sell these days. . .

Murphman

He still hasnt recovered from Daredevil. Man that movie sucked.

Carl

I wonder if anyone at TMZ has ever been in a long term relationship. Even the best relationships are work.

Nicole

This is ridiculous! Obviously, whoever posted this has never been married. Acknowledging that marriage is work doesn't mean anything is wrong with their marriage.
I'm so happy for the both of them!

Marie

Marriage is work. How is saying that a bad thing?

Morticia Cowghoul

Any grown up in a relationship for a long time (double digits or more) KNOWS it IS hard work weather at xmas or just a Tuesday...it's taxing, tiring, and trying but the good stuff makes it all worth while (speaking of my own 24 year experience). I think he was just being emotionally sincere. Good for him.

Desiree Powell

Marriage IS work, every single day and apparently he and Jen know that, or at least that's how I took it. I also figured it was something only the two of them woulda understand. Don't think he's in trouble at all.

Bec215

Garner and Affleck's relationship has been under the microscope for years - especially during his filming of The Town with the rumored fling with Blake Lively, among others. His speech was heartfelt, and she certainly knows that.

patsfan4life

I think TMZ is reaching on this one, marriage is work especially when you have kids and a busy working schedule, I think they're fine and her reaction was loving and didn't show that he's in trouble..or "sleeping on the couch"

judi

OH GEEZ! HE WAS EXCITED AND OF COURSE HE WOULD BE FUMBLE MOUTH!

LetsBeReAL

I think they are fine. Marriage is work. Anyone who's married knows that ****. He was probably a little tipsy and tried to compliment her for being the glue in their marriage. He probably took the Oscar snub to heart and she glued the pieces of what a mess he was & he thanked her for her hard work to keep him focused.