Michelle Obama

WAS First to Open Oscar Envelope ... Says Academy

2/25/2013 3:26 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0225-michelle-obama-1
This is pretty shocking ... a rep for the Academy tells TMZ, Michelle Obama was in fact the ONLY person in the White House to view the contents of the Best Picture Oscar envelope last night.

TMZ broke the story ... it's practically inconceivable that any package -- even a high-profile Oscar envelope -- would reach the First Lady without being thoroughly vetted first.

But a rep for the Academy tells us, "First Lady Michelle Obama was the first and only person to open the Best Picture envelope. PwC [PricewaterhouseCoopers] accountants are the only individuals who have knowledge of the results prior to their live reveal on the Oscars."

As we reported, TMZ spoke to the Secret Service this morning ... and they said, "We're not gonna comment on that."

We're not sure if we're relieved or terrified.

katela

Yeah...the Secret Service is going to talk to TMZ and answer a really stupid question. Next.

TT

Right... if you believe that then I have an uncharted island in middle of nowhere that I would like to sell to you TMZ.

Mayu

Not a big Limbaugh fan, but he made a good point about irony... the wife of a man who failed to protect Americans at an Embassy in Iran and has failed to provide real answers about that attack... giving the award for best picture to a movie about a successful rescue of Americans at an embassy in Iran in the 70s. Very Ironic.

Nonsense

Makes me want to throw up every time I see her or her socialist husband.

Ahha!

Ugh-I just can't get over those terrible BANGS!!!! Please, side-sweep them or something!!!!!

kapnkool

It drives me mental how Obama appears on Letterman, Jon Stewart, etc. And the icing on the cake was Michelle on the Oscars last night under the guise that "we should support the arts". Good, support the arts...pass legislation, but both of you keep your mugs off television. There's no place for politicians mingling with celebrities or doing bits, it cheapens the office of the presidency. And don't call me a right-winger buzzkill because I voted for Obama during his first term. I'm a moderate who has issues with BOTH political parties.

lcmb

Rescuing hostages from embassies/consulates definitely is a winner.

Thanks for letting us know Michelle.

Pass it on to your husband.

Linda

"It's practically inconceivable that any package -- even high-profile Oscar envelope -- would reach the First Lady without being thoroughly vetted first"

WTF? Are you kidding? As someone who lives in Washington, DC (10 blocks from the White House) and works on Capitol Hill, I'm amused by this. Why would you think an authorized person couldn't walk in the White House and hand an envelope to the President or the First Lady. Do you know what "vetted" means? Why would you need a background check ON AN ENVELOPE?!

They screen letters and packages that come through the US Postal Service (for bombs, anthrax, stuff like that). Why would you think the FLOTUS needs to be protected from a word printed on a page?! Even if that word was "Argo" and not "Lincoln." You guys need to stick to the TMZ.

Linda

WTF? Are you kidding? As someone who lives in Washington, DC (10 blocks from the White House) and works on Capitol Hill, I'm amused by this. Why would you think an authorized person couldn't walk in the White House and hand an envelope to the President or the First Lady. Do you even know what "vetted" means? Why would you need a background check ON AN ENVELOPE?! They screen letters and packages that come through the US Postal Service (for bombs, anthrax, stuff like that). Why would you think the FLOTUS needs to be protected from a word printed on a page?! Even it that word was "Argo" and not "Lincoln." Stick to the TMZ.

BEEJ

I wish they would've brought her on in the beginning of the show so I would have had more reason to just turn it off right away.

Gloryg7

So.... they break rules for TFL. Well. I want to have all the envelopes for all the big awadrs run past her first too. Then that way she can have more knowledge of stupid things that dont really matter! Ugh sick of all of it!!!!

backfire

Intruder. No right to be at Oscars.

elcompapopeye

They all actors... Did I saw that one Comercial with Barack and Harold And Kumar

cristiana

bangs or no bangs, she looks like a man in drag!

Ferndog

Only people I would get up and vote forin next election is Ron Paul or Jessie Ventura